Celmisia linearis, n.sp.
A small, perennial, tufted, aggregated herb. Stem erect, simple or branched, covered with the sheathing bases of old leaves, very stout for the size of the plant. Leaves densely imbricated, 2–3 inches long, ⅕ to ¼ broad, linear, sub-acute, coriaceous, not rigid, covered above with persistent pellicles of appressed silvery hairs; below with silvery white glistening tomentum, which becomes brown with age. Convex by the recurvature of the margins. Midrib sunken above, keeled below; sheaths often 1 inch long, broad and
membranous; scapes one-flowered, 6–8 inches high, clothed with loose white tomentum, rather stout. Bracts 4–6, very narrow-linear, 1 inch long, acute, convex, with a long sheath covered with matted cottony hairs. Heads 1–1½ inch diameter. Involucral scales numerous, in 2–3 rows, ½–¾ inch long, very narrow-linear, densely woolly, with glabrous subulate tips. Ray-florets numerous, 1 inch long, narrow, white. Disc yellow, glabrous. Pappus ¼ inch long. Achenes hispidulous.
Hab.—Canterbury Provincial District, 2,500–4,000 feet, forming broad patches among grass.—J.B.A., first collected in 1866. In most colonial herbariums two plants are confounded under Hooker's name of C. monroi, the above and the true C. monroi, which has much larger leaves deeply furrowed in parallel lines, and larger flowers with glabrous achenes, and fewer stouter bracts.