Two hundred and fifty volumes have been added to the Library of the Institute, which is now in such a crowded state as to render the provision of further accommodation absolutely necessary. Together with the Library of the Philosophical Society, it now comprises over 4,000 volumes, nearly all of which are valuable works of reference.
Patent Office Library.—This Library has been arranged in the Lecture Hall, and is now accessible to the public, on application to the Curator. It contains 1,420 volumes.
Public Library.—This Library, formerly the property of the Provincial Council, has been arranged and catalogued, and comprises 1,200 volumes, but unfortunately, in many cases, important works are rendered incomplete through volumes having been taken away before the collection was removed to the Museum, and, as no record appears to have been kept of persons to whom books were lent, it is now impossible to enforce their return.
Including private collections of books which are deposited in the Museum, the library available for reference and study numbers about 8,500 volumes 20th July, 1881.