Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Volume 14, 1881
This text is also available in PDF
(72 KB) Opens in new window
– 561 –
1.

Professor Parker exhibited and made remarks upon the skin and skeleton of the Takahe (Notornis mantelli), the property of Mr. J. Connor, manager to Captain Hankinson, of Lynwood, Te Anau, where the bird was recently killed.

Mr. F. Chapman communicated some particulars as to the occurrence of Notornis, furnished to him by Mrs. Cameron, of Centre Island, Foveaux Strait. This lady stated that two specimens were killed and eaten by Maoris in 1878, who described them to her as resembling the pukeko, but of the size of a turkey. She had offered £20 for a specimen, but without success.

Dr. Hector said that as three specimens of the bird had now been obtained from widely separated localities, he thought it highly probable that others would be found. He mentioned having heard, in 1862, near the Matukituki River, a loud booming noise followed by a piercing shrill whistle, probably made by some large bird (possibly Aptornis). The noise had been heard again this year at the same place by one of his assistants.

2.

Dr. Hector exhibited and made remark upon living specimens of the South Island tuatara (Sphenodon güntheri).

3.

Professor Parker exhibited a simple form of dissecting microscope, made by Mr. Bourne, Assistant in the Museum.

4.

“The Cause of Error in executing Minor Triangulation with Instruments of small Diameter,” by J. Aitken Connell.