Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Volume 26, 1893
This text is also available in PDF
(70 KB) Opens in new window
– 676 –

After, a few introductory remarks, Dr. Hocken was called away; and Mr. C. W. Adams, Vice-president, made a speech welcoming the members and their friends, and on behalf of the society offered a hearty welcome to Professor T. J. Parker on his return from a visit to England.

A number of interesting exhibits were displayed in the biological laboratory, notably a beautiful specimen of an albatros in the down, and some of the specimens acquired for the Museum in England by Dr. Parker. A special exhibit was a collection of bird-skins from the Chatham Islands, containing a pair of the extremely rare rail (Cabalus), and a number of scarce birds. With these was a collection of over a dozen well-finished stone axes and tools, with grinding-stones, found in one place at the Chatham Islands. As the Museum was unable to afford the money necessary for the purchase of these collections, a subscription list was started, and the Council of the Institute supplemented the amount collected by a grant, which enabled the Curator to secure the specimens for the Museum.

It was announced during the meeting that the Council had received a letter from Mr. G. M. Thomson, F.L.S., drawing attention to the inactivity of the Government in the matter of setting aside Resolution Island as a sanctuary for native birds, and that the Council had appointed a committee to confer with the Otago Acclimatisation Society as to the best mode of forwarding the matter.

The following gentlemen were elected members of the Institute: Thomas Mackenzie, Balclutha; Murray Aston, St. Leonards; W. Shacklock, Dunedin.