Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Volume 31, 1898
This text is also available in PDF
(157 KB) Opens in new window
– 734 –

Abstract of Annual Report for 1898

Since the last annual meeting eight ordinary meetings have been held, and an extra meeting. At these meetings twenty-five papers have been read, as follows: Botany, 8; zoology, 7; geology, 5; chemistry, 3; physics, 2.

At six of these ordinary meetings special addresses of a more or less popular character have been delivered—viz.: “On some Recent Advances in Experimental Science,” by Professor Bickerton; “On Hypnotism : Its Fallacies and Facts,” by Mr. R. M. Laing; “On the Cultivation of New Zealand Alpine Plants,” bv Mr. L. Cockayne; “On the Cell,” by Mr. J. B. Mayne; “On the Microscope in Geology,” by Mr. R. Speight; “On the Life-history of the Tuatara,” by Professor Dendy.

The attendance at the ordinary meetings has averaged 32.1, so that it will be seen that both in the number of papers read and in the average attendance there has again been an increase on the preceding year.

In addition to the ordinary meetings, a special meeting was held on the 21st September, in the Chemistry Lecture Theatre, when Captain

– 735 –

Hutton delivered a popular lecture on “The New Darwinism,” which was well attended, and very highly appreciated by the public. A special general meeting was held on the 6th July for the purpose of making a slight alteration in Law VII.

The Council has met nine times since the last annual meeting, and amongst the business transacted the following items may be mentioned : The laws and rules of the Institute have been revised and reprinted; the old rule, No. XI., concerning the photographic section, which has ceased to exist, has been omitted.

A resolution urging upon the Government the desirability of protecting the eggs as well as the adult animals of the tuatara has been forwarded to the Colonial Secretary and complied with.

All the collections presented by the late Mr. W. Maskell to this Institute have been presented to the Canterbury Museum.

The Hon. C. C. Bowen was nominated to vote in the election of Governors of the New Zealand Institute.

The number of members of the Philosophical Institute of Canterbury at the present moment is seventy-five, as compared with seventy-seven in the preceding year.

The balance-sheet shows that the total receipts for the year have been £60 2s. 6d., and the expenditure £63 19s. 10d., which, with the balance carried forward from last year, leaves a balance in the bank of £17 19s. 11d. The sum of £50 0s. 7d. has been spent upon books and binding.

Additions to the library by donation and purchase have taken place as usual. Captain Hutton has succeeded Dr. Evans as honorary librarian, and has generously presented the Institute, with a set of “Natural Science” complete up to date.

It is deeply to be regretted that since the last annual meeting this Institute has twice been called upon to pass resolutions of regret and condolence—viz., on the occasions of the deaths of Mr. W. M. Maskell and the Rev. W. Colenso, while the Philosophical Society of Canterbury in particular has lost a most valued member by the death of Mr. C. B. Blackiston, its late honorary auditor.

The arrangement of a programme for the ensuing year, to be submitted to the incoming Council, has been left in the hands of the honorary secretary, who has much pleasure in announcing that Professor Arnold Wall, M.A., has kindly consented to deliver a popular lecture during the year, and Mr. J. S. S. Cooper an address on “Wireless Telegraphy.” Other arrangements will be announced in due course.