Contents - Volume 33, 1900
All full-page illustrations (plates) in this volume can be seen in the Picture Gallery.
- (title page)
- List of Plates. [Note.—These are placed at the end of the volume.]
New Zealand Institute.
- Board of Governors.
- Abstracts of Rules and Statutes.
- Roll of Incorporated Societies
- Officers of Incorporated Societies, and Extracts From the Rules.
Transactions of the New Zealand Institute, 1900.
- Art. I.—Synopsis of the Diptera brachycera of New Zealand.
- Art. II.—Note on Chrysophanus feredayi.
- Art. III.—Note on the Distribution of some Australasian Collembola.
- Art. IV.—On a New Zealand Fresh-water Leech (Glossiphonia (Clepsine) novæ-zealandiæ, n. sp.).
- Art. V.—On a Collection of Hymenoptera made in the Neighbourhood of Wellington by Mr. G. V. Hudson, with Descriptions of New Genera and Species.
- Art. VI.—On the New Zealand Lancelet.
- Art. VII.—An Account of Acanthodrilus uliginosus, Hutton.
- Art. VIII.—On some Earthworms from the Islands around New Zealand.
- Art. IX.—Life-history of Plutella cruciferarum, Zeller.
- Art. X. —Description of the Caterpillar of Epirranthis alectoraria.
- Art. XI.—Notes on New Zealand Ephemeridæ.
- Art. XII.—Further Contributions to the Geographical Distribution of the New Zealand Non-marine Mollusca.
- Art. XIII.—Hymenopterous Parasite of Ovum of Vanessa gonerilla.
- Art. XIV.—On Lysiphragma howesii, sp. nov.
- Art. XV.—Embryological Structure of New Zealand Lepidoptera: Part I.
- Art. XVI.—On “Sugaring” for Lepidoptera in Southland.
- Art. XVII.—A Catalogue of the Lepidoptera of Southland.
- Art. XVIII.—Lepidoptera of Mount Ida.
- Art. XIX.—On the Occurrence of Metacrias strategica at Invercargill.
- Art. XX.—Breeding Black Sheep: a Study in Colour.
- Art. XXI.—On Hybridism.
- Art. XXII.—On the Fresh-water Shells of Rissington, Hawke's Bay.
- Art. XXIII.—Scinde Island, from a Naturalist's Point of View.
- Art. XXIV.—Notes on New Zealand Land Planarians: Part IV.
- Art. XXV.—Notes on Salmonidæ and their New Home in the South Pacific.
- Art. XXVI.—Description of a New Ophiurid.
- Art. XXVII.—Our Migratory Birds.
- Art. XXVIII.—An Inquiry into the Seedling Forms of New Zealand Phanerogams and their Development.
- Art. XXIX.—Note on the Occurrence of the Genera Gunnera and Myosotis in Chatham Islands.
- Art. XXX.—A List of the Seaweeds of Norfolk Island.
- Art. XXXI.—On the Occurrence of Cordyline terminalis in New Zealand.
- Art. XXXII.—Notes on the Cultivated Food-plants of the Polynesians, with Special Reference to the Ti Pore (Cordyline terminalis).
- Art. XXXIII.—Some Recent Additions to the New Zealand Flora.
- Art. XXXIV.—Plant-acclimatisation in New Zealand
- Art. XXXV.—On the Regrowth of the Totara.
- Art. XXXVI.—Descriptions of New Native Plants.
- Art. XXXVII.—Notes on the New Zealand Musci.
- Art. XXXVIII.—Notes on an Artesian-well System at the Base of the Port Hills.
- Art. XXXIX.—On the Occurrence of Crystallized Native Copper on Mine-timbers at Kawau Island.
- Art. XL.—Notes on a Quartz Mica-diorite from Western Flanks of Moehau.
- Art. XLI.—Notes on a Hypersthene Andesite from Waihi Mine, Waihi.
- Art. XLII.—Note on the Cave at Papatu, Ormondville, Hawke's Bay.
IV.—Chemistry and Physics.
- Art. XLIII.—Studies on the Chemistry of the New Zealand Flora.
- Art. XLIV.—Researches into the Action of Fusible Cutouts.
- Art. XLV.—Investigation into Kauri-resin.
- Art. XLVI.—Facts discovered in his Investigation of the Motions of the Atmosphere in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Art. XLVII.—Note on the Fog in Wellington on the Morning of the 19th June, 1900.
- Art. XLVIII.—Note on the Vapour-density of Mercury.
- Art. XLIX.—On Entomological Field-work in New Zealand.
- Art. L.—The Extension of University and Science Work in New Zealand.
- Art. LI.—The Early Days of Printing in New Zealand; A Chapter of Interesting History.
- Art. LII.—On Ancient Maori Relics from Canterbury, New Zealand.
- Art. LIII.—An Optical Illusion.
- Art. LIV.—The Bite of the Katipo.
- Art. LV.—Seals as Navigators.
- Art. LVI.—Rats and Plague.
- Art. LVII.—The Population of New Zealand.
- Art. LVIII.—Maori Origins: Part II.
- Art. LIX.—Some Account of the Beginnings of Literature in New Zealand: Part I., the Maori Section
- Art. LX.—“Giotto's Circle” and Writing.
- Art. LXI.—Survey: Practical and Precise.
- Art. LXII.—On the Tracks of Captain Cook.
- Art. LXIII.—Hand-list of certain Papers relating more or less directly to the Maori Race, and published in various Publications.
New Zealand Institute.
New Zealand Institute.
Wellington Philosophical Society.
- First Meeting: 19th June, 1900.
- Notes on Additions to the Museum
- Description of Great Spider-crab (Paramicippa grandis).
- Second Meeting: 24th July, 1900.
- Remarks on the Chemistry of Tutu
- Third Meeting: 28th August, 1900.
- 2. “On the Fog in Wellington on the 19th June last,”
- 3. “On the Papatu Cave, at Ormondville,”
- 4. “On Rats and Plague,”
- 5. “Notes on late Additions to the Museum,”
- Fourth Meeting: 25th September, 1900.
- 2. “Early Explorations and Colonisation of Western Canada,”
- On a Remarkable Lycopodium.
- Fifth Meeting: 16th October, 1900.
- Appreciation of the late William Skey
- Papers.—1. “Motions of the Atmosphere in the Southern Hemisphere,”
- 2. “The Regrowth of Totara,”
- Notes on Natural-history Exhibits
- Sixth Meeting: 15th January, 1901.
- 3. “On Giotto's Circle and Writing,”
- 4. “On the Bite of the Katipo,”
- Remarks on Hydridœ and other Sea-snakes.
- Remarks on Exhibits
- Some sponges from the Chatham Islands.
- On the Conservation of Native Birds: a Letter from Professor Newton, of Cambridge
Annual Meeting: 12th March, 1901.
- 2. “On Seismograms of Distant Earthquakes,”
- Description of Exhibits.
- Remarks on a Supposed Specimen of Salmo salar.
- Remarks on Photographs taken by R. Henry, of the Reserve at Dusky Sound
- First Meeting: 4th June, 1900.
Second Meeting: 25th June, 1900.
Third Meeting:9th July, 1900.
Fourth Meeting: 23rd July, 1900.
Fifth Meeting: 13th August, 1900.
Sixth Meeting: 27th August, 1900.
Seventh Meeting: 10th September, 1900.
Eighth Meeting: 24th September, 1900.
Tenth Meeting: 29th October, 1900.
Eleventh Meeting: 12th November, 1900.
Annual Meeting: 25th February, 1901.
Philosophical Institute of Canterbury.
First Meeting: 8th May, 1900.
Second Meeting: 12th June, 1900.
Third Meeting: 10th July, 1900.
Fourth Meeting: 14th August, 1900.
Fifth Meeting: 11th September, 1900.
Sixth Meeting: 9th October, 1900.
Annual Meeting: 13th November, 1900.
Hawke's Bay Philosophical Institute.
First Meeting: 14th May, 1900.
Second Meeting: 11th June, 1900.
Third Meeting: 9th July, 1900.
- Fourth Meeting: 13th August, 1900.
Fifth Meeting: 10th September, 1900.
Sixth Meeting: 26th October, 1900.
Annual Meeting: 4th February, 1901.
Nelson Philosophical Society.
- New Zealand Institute Honorary Members.
- Ordinary Members.
- Auckland Institute.
- Philosophical Institute of Canterbury.
- Otago Institute.
- Westland Institute
- Hawke's Bay Philosophical Institute.
- Nelson Philosophical Society.
- List of Institutions and Persons to whom This Volume is Presented by the Governors of the New Zealand Institute.