Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Volume 34, 1901
– 585 –

Fourth Meeting: 13th August, 1901.
Mr. G. M. Thomson, President, in the chair.

New Member.—Dr. Young, of Invercargill.

Dr. Benham, curator of the Museum, took the opportunity to bring under the notice of members a few specimens recently added to the Museum.

The first was a specimen of the squid, occasionally cast ashore in the harbour. Another was the New Zealand cockchafer (Prionoplus reticularis), mounted to show its life-history from its early stages till it becomes the full-grown beetle. Specimens of Phalangium cheliferoides, Mantis, and weta, mounted in alcohol, were exhibited, and then two specimens of the leaf insect. One of these was from Fiji, and the other had been sent to the Museum by Mr. Goyen, who got it from a man in the Catlin's district. Dr. Benham said it was not a native of these islands. After exhibiting two scorpions from India, he then showed a couple of lizards, one of a common variety found on the Peninsula, and another which appeared to be new to science. It was found at Fort-rose by a man who thought it was a tuatara. Seeing an advertisement in a paper offering £1 for a tuatara, he brought it up to Dunedin. It was a beautifully coloured lizard, having brown, red, and green markings. He had not had time to work it out thoroughly, but as far as he could judge it was an entirely new variety. A couple of living specimens of Paryphanta hochstetteri from Pelorus Sound were also on view.

Dr. Colquhoun read a paper entitled “Tennyson and Science.”