Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Volume 38, 1905
This text is also available in PDF
(195 KB) Opens in new window

Auckland Institute.

First Meeting: 5th June, 1905.
Professor A. P. W. Thomas, President, in the chair.

New Members.—W. S. Douglas, W. J. Hazard, E. Langguth.

The President delivered the anniversary address, taking as his subject “Nitrogen-fixing Bacteria.”

The address was copiously illustrated with lantern-slides and diagrams, and specimens of plants grown with and without the aid of nitrogen-fixing bacteria were exhibited

At the conclusion of the address a cordial vote of thanks was passed to Professor Thomas.

Second Meeting: 3rd July, 1905.
Professor A. P. W. Thomas, President, in the chair.

Mr. E. Clarke, M.A., gave a popular lecture, with numerous limelight illustrations, on “Rivers and their Work.”

Third Meeting: 31st July, 1905
Professor A. P. W. Thomas, President, in the chair.

Professor F. D. Brown delivered a popular lecture, illustrated with numerous experiments, on “Alcohol as a Fuel.”

Fourth Meeting: 28th August, 1905.
Professor A. P. W. Thomas, President, in the chair.

Professor C. W. Egerton gave a popular lecture on “Thackeray.”

Fifth Meeting: 25th September, 1905.
Professor A. P. W. Thomas, President, in the chair.

Mr. J. H. Howell, B.Sc., gave a popular lecture, with numerous experiments, entitled “The Story of Radium.”

Sixth Meeting: 9th October, 1905.
Professor A. P. W. Thomas, President, in the chair.

New Members.—E. C. Brown, G. M. Newton.

Papers.—1. “Description of a New Grass,” by D. Petrie, M.A. (Transactions, p. 423.)

– 592 –

2. “The Winged Pilot of Hawaiki,” by Archdeacon P. Walsh. (Transactions, p. 127.)

3. “A Find of Kauri-gum at Rangitikei, Wellington,” by S. A. R. Mair. (Transactions, p. 499.)

4. “Notes on the Growth of certain Native Trees in the Auckland Domain,” by J. StAewart, C.E. (Transactions, p. 374.)

5. “The Scenery and Rocks of the Omahu Coast,” by H. G. Cousins, M.A.

Seventh Meeting: 23rd October, 1905.
Professor A. P. W. Thomas, President, in the chair.

Professor H. W. Segar delivered a popular lecture, copiously illustrated with limelight views, on “The Sun.”

Eighth Meeting: 6th December, 1905.
Professor A. P. W. Thomas, President, in the chair.

Papers.—1. “The Whare Potae, or House of Mourning,” by Elsdon Best. (Transactions, p. 148.)

2. “Additions to the New Zealand Fauna,” by Rev. W. Webster. (Transactions, p. 309.)

3. “Results of Dredging on the Continental Shelf of New Zealand,” by Rev. W. Webster. (Transactions, p. 305.)

Ninth Meeting: 26th February, 1906.
Professor A. P. W. Thomas, President, in the chair.

Abstract Of Annual Report.

Five new members had been elected during the year, a number considerably below the average. On the other hand, twelve names had been withdrawn from the roll. There had thus been a net decrease of seven, the total number of members at the present time being 153.

The report referred with regret to the death of Mr. L. D. Nathan, who had been connected with the Institute for more than twenty-five years, and who had always been a liberal supporter of its interests.

The Council also expressed their regret at the decease of Captain F. W. Hutton, the President of the New Zealand Institute, who had been a most active and zealous supporter of the Institute from the time of its formation in 1868. In conjunction with the late Mr. Justice Gillies he materially aided in the formation of the Auckland branch of the Institute.

The gross total revenue of the Working Account had been £1,232 5s. ld Deducting from this sum two exceptional items of £150 received on account of the Mackechnie bequest for the purchase of groups of large animals, and £100, an advance from the Investment Account towards defraying the cost of erecting the Maori house, the ordinary revenue had been £982 5s. ld., being an increase of £24 3s on the receipts for the previous year. The invested funds of the Costley bequest had yielded £342 ls. 3d, as against £371 19s. for the previous year. The Museum endowment, in rents and interest, contributed £351 9s. 11d., an increase of £11 4s. ld on the amount for 1904–5. £134 10s 6d. had been transferred from the Mackechnie Library Bequest Account for the purchase

– 593 –

of books, and £117 12s. had been derived from members' subscriptions. The total expenditure had been £1,174 ls. 5d., which included the two exceptional items of £127 14s. 10d. paid on account of groups of mammals, and £115 ls. 9d. for the erection of the Maori house. The credit balance at the Bank of New Zealand at present was £58 3s. 8d. The Council had no change to report with respect to the invested funds of the Institute, the total amount of which (£16,263 ls. 8d.) was the same as last year.

With the exception of a short period devoted to cleaning and rearrangement, the Museum had been open daily to the public during the year. The attendance of visitors had been most satisfactory, and was the largest yet recorded. On Sunday afternoons 20,440 visitors entered the building, being an average of 393 for each Sunday. The greatest attendance was 618, on the 11th June; the smallest 157, on the 27th October. On the seven principal holidays the number of visitors was 2,583, or an average of 369. On ordinary week-days it is believed that the average daily attendance was 125, making a total of 38,252 for week-days, or of 61,275 for the whole year Last year the attendance was estimated at 46,285. The number of visitors during the three hours the Museum is open on Sunday was quite half the total attendance for the remainder of the week.

Fair progress has been made with the erection of the new Maori house. The elaborately carved sideposts had all been set up, and the framework of the roof completed, the rafters having been painted by Maoris from old designs kindly lent by Mr. C. E. Nelson. A large supply of kakaho, or reeds, had been obtained for the lining of the roof, and many other preparations made But for the unfortunate destruction of the reed-work panels by fire at Rotorua, where they were being prepared, the house would have been well advanced towards completion. The Council trust, however, that it may yet be finished before the coming winter.

The second group of large stuffed animals provided by the Mackechnie bequest had been received during the year and placed on exhibition. The third group, consisting of a polar bear and three musk oxen (male, female, and young), was now on its way from England, and would arrive in a few weeks. A fourth group was being prepared, and would probably arrive before the end of the year. The two groups at present exhibited attract considerable attention.

The increased revenue now derived by the library from the special bequest of £2,000 made by the late Mrs. Mackechnie had enabled the Council to order three consignments of books from their London agent.

The question of additional accommodation for the library urgently required consideration.

The Council desired to convey the thanks of the Institute to the numerous donors to the Museum and library. They also wish to tender the special thanks of the Society to the Tyser Steamship Company and the New Zealand Shipping Company for the free carriage of the groups of mammals obtained from the Mackechnie bequest. The thanks of the Institute were also due to Mr. C. E. Nelson for supervising the construction of various carvings and other material required for the completion of the Maori house, and for much valuable advice connected therewith.

Election of Officers For 1906.—President — Professor F. D. Brown; Vice-Presidents—Professor A. P. W. Thomas and Dr. E. Roberton; Council—L. J. Bagnall, H. Haines, J. Kirker, E. V. Miller, T. Peacock, D. Petrie, J. A. Poul, J. Reid, Professor H. W. Segar, J. Stewart, J. H. Upton; Trustees—T. Peacock. J. H. Upton, Professor F. D. Brown; Secretary and Curator—T. F. Cheeseman, F.L.S.; Auditor—W. Gorrie.