Hawke's bay Philosophical Institute.
During the session seven ordinary and four Council meetings have been held. At the ordinary meetings five lectures were delivered and four papers read. One of the most enjoyable meetings was that devoted to the microscope. Lecturettes were delivered dealing with the structure of the microscope, the preparation of slides, and photomicrography, and a great many specimens were exhibited, no fewer than fourteen microscopes being brought into use.
The Colenso botanical specimens have been placed on deposit in the Colonial Museum, where they will be in safe keeping, and will be available for scientific purposes.
Hoping to widen the scope of the Institute's usefulness, your Council placed the library at the disposal of the teachers of the district as a reference library. They regret to report, however, that, although only a nominal subscription was asked, advantage has not been taken of the offer in the manner that was anticipated, only two teachers having availed themselves of the opportunity.
Mr. Hill's term of office as this branch's representative on the Board of Governors of the New Zealand Institute having expired, the Council again elected him to that position.
Your Council regret that Mr W. H. Antill, Vice-President, who has for some years taken an active interest in the work of the branch, has found it necessary to resign membership on account of his removal from the district. Two new members have been elected during the year.
Nine new volumes have been added to the Society's library.
The Treasurer's balance-sheet shows a small credit balance.
Papers and Lectures Read Before the Institute During the session 1905.
2nd May.—The President, H. Hill, B.A., F.G.S., delivered the inaugural address, his subject being “Social and Industrial Questions as they affect New Zealand.”
6th June.—Paper by J. Guthrie-Smith, “The Native Birds of Three Hawke's Bay Runs.”
4th July.—Lecture by Dr. Kennedy, “Meteorological Instruments and how to use them.”
1st August.—Papers: (1.) H. Hill, B.A., F.G.S., “Wanted, a Colonial Scientific Advisory Board.” (2.) W. Dinwiddie, “National Character.”
5th September.—Lecturettes: (1.) Dr. Leahy, “The Construction of the Microscope.” (2.) Dr. Henley, “The Pre-
paration of Slides.” (3.) Dr. Kennedy, “Photomicrography.” By means of fourteen microscopes a large number of interesting specimens were exhibited.
3rd October.—Paper by Dr. Leahy, “Electric Currents of High Frequency.”
Election of Officers for 1906.—President—W. Dinwiddie; Vice-President—E. A. W. Henley, M.B.; Council—J. Guthrie-Smith, T. Hall, H. Hill, B.A., F.G.S., J. P. Leaby, M.B., D.P.H., T. C. Moore, M.D., T. Tanner; Hon. Secretary—Jas. Hislop, District School; Hon. Treasurer—J. W. Craig; Hon. Auditor—G. White; Lanternist—C. F. Pointon.