Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Volume 45, 1912
– 437 –

Otago Institute.

First Meeting: 14th May, 1912.
The President, Dr. W. B. Benham, F.R.S., in the chair.

New Members.—Professor J. K. H. Inglis, M.A., D.Sc., and Messrs. G. H. Uttley, M.A., M.Sc., R. T. Stewart, and C. F. McDonald.

Papers.—1. “The Place-name Taitapu,” by Mr. N. L. Buchanan.

A short paper protesting against the application of the name “Taitapu” to the inferior Takaka coalfield.

2. “How to combat the Grass-grub,” by Mr. A. Bathgate.

The author advocated the introduction into New Zealand of the shrew and the toad, and the protection and further importation of the hedgehog.

3. “Volcanic Lavas of Otago North Head,” by Dr. P. Marshall.

A summary of the results of the author's investigations into the chemical composition of the twenty-four distinct lava-flows found in the above locality.

Second Meeting: 4th June, 1912.
The President, Dr. W. B. Benham, F.R.S., in the chair.

New Member:—Mr. E. P. W. Ford.

Address.—The President delivered his presidential address, entitled “Some London Museums.”

The address was illustrated with a large number of lantern-slides, and dealt more particularly with the wonderfully complete historical and ethnographical collections of the Guildhall, and the Victoria and Albert Museum, and the Wallace Collection at Hertford House.

Third Meeting: 2nd July, 1912.
The President, Dr. W. B. Benham, F.R.S., in the chair. New Member.—Mr. P. J. Keligher.

Address.—“New Zealand Wild Flowers,” by Mr. D. L. Poppelwell.

After some remarks on the magnitude and distribution of New Zealand flora, the lecturer proceeded to show a very large number of exceptionally fine slides illustrating the more beautiful and interesting native plants and flowers, and concluded with a strong appeal to the audience to use their influence for the preservation and protection of the native flora.

– 438 –

Fourth Meeting: 6th August, 1912.
The President, Dr. W. B. Benham, F.R.S., in the chair.

Exhibit. — Professor Park exhibited Terebratula fossils from near Akiteo, Hawke's Bay.

Papers.—1. “A New Species of Macquartia,” by Mr. D. Miller.

2. “Pronunciation in Shakepeare's Time,” by Mr G E. Thompson, M.A.

3. “Glacial Erosion in New Zealand,” by Dr. P. Marshall.

A short résumé of observations made in the Hooker Valley and elsewhere.

Fifth Meeting: 3rd September, 1912.
The President, Dr. W. B. Benham, F.R.S., in the chair.

New Members.—Messrs. R. Richards and E. McEnnis.

Address.—“A Visit to Crete,” by Dr. D. Colquhoun.

This address was given before a very large audience in Stuart Hall. In the first part of the lecture Dr. Colquhoun outlined the modern archaeological researches that have established the claim of Crete to be regarded as the cradle of modern European civilization and culture; the second portion consisted of comments on a large number of excellent slides showing the remains of ancient palaces and houses, pottery, frescoes, &c.

Sixth Meeting: 1st October, 1912.
The President, Dr. W. B. Benham, F.R S., in the chair. New Members.—Mr. James Black.

Exhibit.—Dr. Benham exhibited the skull of an extinct whale embedded in a block of sandstone from Milburn.

Papers.—1. “Some Contributions to South Island History (Maori),” by Mr. R. Buddle.

Containing much intersting information as to place-names in the southern parts of Otago and Southland. This paper will be published in the “Journal of the Polynesian Society.”

2. “Simplified Spelling,” by Miss Alice Woodhouse.

3. “Notes on the Larvae of Two New Zealand Moths,” by Mr. G. W. Howes, F.E.S.

4. “New Lepidoptera,” by Mr. G. W. Howes, F.E.S.

5. “Notes on the Entomology of Stewart Island,” by Mr. G. W. Howes, F.E.S.

6. “Rotifera not previously recorded in New Zealand,” by Mr. C. B. Morris, F.R.M.S.; communicated by Mr. Howes.

7. “Protective Colours and Devices of New Zealand Diptera,” by Mr. D Miller.

8. “Descriptions of New Species of Lepidoptera,” by Mr. A. Philpott; communicated by Dr. Benham.

– 439 –

Seventh Meeting: 14th November, 1912.
The President, Dr. W. B. Benham, F.R.S., in the chair.

New Members.—Rev. A. M. Dalrymple, M.A., Miss G. F. Gibson, M.A., and Mr. Robert McLintock.

Address.—“The Natural History of Otago Harbour,” by Mr. G. M. Thomson, F.L.S., M.P.

The address described in some detail the characteristics and life-habits of most of the better known fishes and Crustacea met with in the harbour or just outside the Heads.

Eighth Meeting: 3rd December, 1912.
Mr. A. Bathgate, Vice-President, in the chair.

New Member.—Mr. W. J. Whyte.

Papers.—1. “New Species of New Zealand Diptera,” by Mr. D. Miller.

2. “Notes on a Botanical Excursion to the Northern Portion of the Eyre Mountains,” by Mr. D. L. Poppelwell.

3. “Notes on the Botany of the Ruggedy Mountains, Stewart Island,” by Mr. D. L Poppelwell.

4. “Some Localities for Tertiary Fossils near Oamaru,” by Dr. P. Marshall.

The annual report and the balance-sheet for 1912 were read and adopted.

Abstract.

The Council has co-operated with the Wellington Philosophical Society in urging the Government to acquire the small area of Native land around the Keketahi Hot Springs, and so include the springs in the surrounding Tongariro National Park, and also to enlarge the boundaries of the park in the manner recommended in the report drawn up some time ago by Dr. Cockayne and Mr. Phillips Turner.

Meetings.—Eight meetings of the Institute have been held during the session, at which there have been read or received fifteen papers embodying the results of original work. These may be classified as follows: Entomology and natural history, 9; geology, 3; botany, 2; New Zealand history, 1.

The following addresses were delivered: “Some London Museums” (presidential address), by Dr. W. B. Benham, F.R.S.; “New Zealand Wild Flowers,” by Mr. D. L. Poppelwell; “Pronunciation in Shakespeare's Time,” by Mr. G. E. Thompson, M.A.; “A Visit to Crete,” by Dr. D. Colquhoun; “The Natural History of Otago Harbour,” by Mr. G. M. Thomson, M.P.; “How to combat the Grass-grub,” by Mr. A. Bathgate; “Simplified Spelling,” by Miss Alice Woodhouse.

Technological Branch.—The Technological Branch has well maintained the excellent standard it set for itself in the first year of its existence. At the seven ordinary meetings attendances averaged thirty-nine.

The following papers were read during the session: “Factors in the Sellingprice of Electricity,” Mr. E. E. Stark; “X-rays and Radium,” Dr. P. D. Cameron; “Dunedin-Mosgiel Duplication-works,” Mr. W. R. Davidson; “The Problem of Interference in Wireless Telegraphy,” Mr. E. E. Stark; “Reasons in Architecture,” Mr. B. B. Hooper; “A Steam Turbine,” Mr. J. Lythgoe; “Flight and Gravitation,” Mr. F. W. Payne; “Steam-engines, Ancient and Modern,” Mr. R. McLintock; “Reinforced Concrete,” Mr. C. Fleming McDonald.

In addition, many members took advantage of a Saturday afternoon excursion to inspect the engineering operations at the Chain Hill Tunnel works.

– 440 –

Astronomical Branch.—The annual meeting of this branch was held on the 16th May, when the following office-bearers were elected: Chairman—Mr. R. Gilkison; Secretary—Mr. A. Megget; Committee—Revs. P. W. Fairclough and D. Dutton, Dr. P. D. Cameron, Professor J. Park, and Messrs. W. S. Wilson, J. W. Milnes, and F. W. Payne.

The branch has pushed on with the erection of a telescope-house on Tanna Hill, the Otago University having kindly granted the site. Solid cement foundations were put in, and a revolving house has been erected on the same. The Beverley telescope (3 in. refractor) and the Skey (9 in.) reflecting-telescope are now erected there. Steps are being taken to procure and erect an astronomical clock and transit instrument. The opening address after the completion of the telescope-house was delivered at the University by the Rev. T. Roseby, LL.D., F.R.A.S.

Membership.—During the year fifteen new members have been elected, whilst sixteen members have resigned or have been struck off, and one member (Mr. W. J. Scoullar) has been removed by death. The membership roll now stands at 254.

Library.—Thanks are due to Mr. Skinner for rearranging the books during last summer, and for making a card catalogue of the contents of the library. The number of volumes has been largely increased by purchase, in addition to the usual periodicals to which the Institute subscribes

The Institute has also received one book by presentation (Mr Jeffery)—viz., Hansen and Sorensen's “Arachnida Opiliones,” a technical work. There are several technical works on Diptera on order. The Government has presented the usual reports of the various Departments. A large number of periodicals and other works were bound during the summer.

Balance-sheet.—The balance-sheet, presented by the Treasurer (Mr. W. Fels), showed a credit of £56 17s. 4d. The receipts totalled £760, including subscriptions amounting to £243, deposits at call amounting to £440.

Election of Officers for 1913.—President — Professor J. Malcolm, M.D.; Vice-Presidents—Professor W. B. Benham, D.Sc., F.R.S., and Mr. F. W. Payne; Council—Professors P. Marshall, D.Sc., F.G.S., and James Park, F.G.S., Dr. R. V. Fulton, Messrs. H. Brasch, R. Gilkison, G. E. Thompson, M.A., and G. M. Thomson, M.P.; Hon. Secretary— Mr. E. J. Parr, M.A., B.Sc.; Hon. Treasurer—Mr. R. N. Vanes, A.R.I.B.A.