First Meeting: 4th May, 1915.
Present. Mr. R. Gilkison, President, in the chair, and about a hundred members and friends.
Address.—“Recent Climbs in the Southern Alps,” by Mr. H. F. Wright.
Second Meeting: 1st June, 1915.
Present: Mr. R. Gilkison, President, in the chair, and about forty members and friends.
New Members.—Professor W P. Gowland, M.D., and Mr. O. J. W. Napier, M.A.
Presidential Address.—“The Rise and Fall of Nations,” by Mr. R. Gilkison.
Third Meeting: 6th July, 1915.
Present: Mr R. Gilkison, President, in the chair, and about thirty members and friends.
New Members.—Messrs. J. C. Begg, W. T. Monkman, and S. P. Seymour, B.A.
Address.—“Modern Problems of Chemistry,” by Dr. J. K. H. Inglis, F I C.
Fourth Meeting. 3rd August, 1915
Present Mr R Gilkison, President, in the chair, and about twenty members.
Address.—“Friedrich Nietzsche,” by Professor F. W. Dunlop, M.A., Ph D.
Fifth Meeting. 7th September, 1915.
Present. Mr. R. Gilkison, President, in the chair, and about twenty members.
Papers —1 “Notes on the Plant-covering of Breaksea Islands,” by Mr D L. Poppelwell.
2 “Notes on the Plant-covering of Pukeokaoka, Stewart Island,” by Mr. D. L Poppelwell.
3 “Descriptions of New Species of Lepidoptera,” by Mr. A. Philpott; communicated by Dr. W. B. Benham, F R.S.
4 “Notes on New Zealand Polychaeta, Part II,” by Dr. W. B. Benham, F R S.
Sixth Meeting. 5th October, 1915
Present: Mr. R. Gilkison, President, in the chair, and about forty members and friends.
Hector Medal.—Mr. G. M. Thomson, a past President of the New Zealand Institute, presented to Dr. P. Marshall, F.G.S., the Hector Memorial Medal awarded to him by the New Zealand Institute for his researches in New Zealand geology.
Address.—“Work at the Marine Fish-hatchery,” by Mr. G. M. Thomson, F L.S.
Seventh Meeting. 7th December, 1915
Present: Dr W. B. Benham, F.R S., Vice-President, in the chair, and about fifteen members.
New Members.—Messrs. J. M Lowry, J McNair. and J E Wingfield, and Dr. J. T. Bowie.
Papers.—1. “Notes on the New Zealand Cuckoo,” by Mr. W W. Smith; communicated by Mr. G M. Thomson.
2. “A List of the Lepidoptera of Otago,” by Mr. A Philpott; communicated by Dr W. B. Benham, F R.S.
3. “The Younger Limestones of New Zealand,” by Professor P. Marshall, D.Sc., F G.S.
4. “Some New Fossil Gastropods,” by Professor P Marshall, D Sc, F G.S.
5. “Relations between Cretaceous and Tertiary Rocks,” by Professor P. Marshall, D.Sc., F G.S.
6. “Notes on a Botanical Visit to Bold Peak, Humboldt Mountains,” by Mr. D. L. Poppelwell.
7. “The Occurrence of a Striated Erratic Block of Andesite in the Rangitikei Valley,” by Professor J. Park, F.G.S.
Annual Report.—The annual report and the balance-sheet for 1915 were read and adopted.
During the year the Council has met six times for the transaction of the business of the Institute.
Early in the year the Council decided to vote from its accrued funds the sum of £100 to the Portobello Marine Fish-hatchery Board, for the purpose of enabling it to prosecute researches on the fauna of our New Zealand seas, provided that the Government would supplement this grant with a pound-for-pound subsidy The Minister, on being approached, was in sympathy with the proposal, and the desired grant was finally placed on the supplementary estimates. The Council has since paid over its promised donation to the Hatchery Board.
Meetings.—During the year seven ordinary meetings of the Institute have been held, at which there have been read or received eleven papers, embodying the results of original research.
The following addresses have also been delivered during the past session “The Rise and Fall of Nations” (presidential address), by Mr R Gilkison, “Recent Climbs in the Southern Alps,” by Mr. H F. Wright; “Modern Problems of Chemistry,” by Professor J. K. H. Inglis; “Friedrich Nietzsche,” by Professor F. W. Dunlop; and “Work at the Marine Fish-hatchery,” by Mr. G. M. Thomson.
At the October meeting opportunity was taken to present Professor P. Marshall with the Hector Medal (1915) of the New Zealand Institute, the presentation being made by Mr. G. M Thomson, as a Governor and past President of that Institute. The society, as a body, has been honoured by this recognition of the value of the scientific research so ably carried out in recent years by one of its most active members, and takes this opportunity of placing on record its congratulations to Protessor Marshall on his well-merited distinction.
The attendances at the meetings, though somewhat better than they were last year, are still poorer than they should be, considering the society's membership roll It is to be hoped that the many distractions connected both directly and indirectly with the war will have ceased by next winter's session, so that the meetings may be attended in the way that they deserve to be.
Technological Branch.—The year 1915 is the fifth year of the existence of the Technological Branch. An innovation adopted by the Committee has been to restrict the meetings to the winter months. There will be no meeting in November as formerly; while yet another evening is saved by combining the business of the annual meeting with the final lecture for the year. It has not been thought advisable to attempt to continue the annual dinner for the present. The short-paper evening in September was allowed to lapse. The Committee has had under consideration the question of obtaining better attendances at our meetings by securing a room more central and accessible than the University. The Technical School has been suggested.
Astronomical Branch.—During the year six meetings of the branch have been held, at which seven papers have been read. Although the attendance of the meetings has suffered somewhat as a result of the war, on the whole they have been entirely satisfactory.
The observatory at Tanna Hill has been open every fine Friday night for two hours, a member of the Committee being in charge. The Committee hopes that the time is not far distant when the society will be in a position to secure an up-to-date refracting telescope, with the necessary accessories, so that interested members may be able to do some useful work. On account of the removal of Tanna Hill, the Committee has been faced with the problem of securing a fresh site for the observatory, and has decided to approach the City Council on the matter. The Committee recommends a site at the end of Clyde Street, on the rise above the Leith, near the University, and hopes to be able to obtain permission for the re-erection of the observatory on the site chosen by the Committee. The society is grateful to Mr. Skey for the use of his telescope, and to the Otago University Council for the use of the Beverley telescope.
Librarian's Report.—During the year eight new works have been purchased, and five have been presented to the Institute, a smaller number than during last year The majority of these works are of a scientific character.
As a result apparently of the troublous times, the journal Bedrock has ceased publication.
During the year some forty volumes have been bound; some of these were periodicals, others reports of Government Departments, and yet others were monographs which were in paper covers.
Mr. G M. Thomson has been good enough to arrange with the Linnean Society that the Journal and Transactions of that society, due to him as a Fellow, shall in future be sent to the Institute library. To Mr. Thomson for this and other donations to the library the society's best thanks are due.
Quite recently the Council has presented to the University the eight volumes of Murray's New English Dictionary that have hitherto been in our own library. In a measure, this donation may be regarded as a recognition of the many kindnesses shown to the Institute by the University authorities in recent years.
Membership.—During the year six new members have been elected. On the other hand, nineteen members have resigned their membership, and four members (Dr. F C. Batchelor, and Messrs. T. W. Kempthorne, R. Price, and John Sidey) have been removed by death The membership roll, therefore, has suffered a net decrease of seventeen, and now stands at 184.
In connection with the war, it is perhaps worthy of record that twelve members of the Institute have enrolled themselves in the Dominion or Imperial Forces. Drs Batchelor, Barnett, and O'Neill were given commissions in the New Zealand Medical Corps; Dr Buddle is serving in the Royal Navy; the Rev. Dutton is Chaplain-Major on the hospital ship “Maheno”; Major R. Price, Major F. H. Statham, Lieutenant W D Stewart, and W. P. Macdougall left either in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force or in its reinforcements; Captain D. B. Waters is to sail with the Engineering Tunnelling Corps; Lieutenant T. R. Overton with the 4th Maori Contingent; and Lieutenant E. F Roberts is in the Ordnance Engineers
at Home Of these, it is with regret that we have to record that Major Price was killed in action at the Dardanelles, and Major Statham has been posted as missing since August; whilst Dr. Batchelor died shortly after his return from Egypt on furlough.
Balance-sheet.—The balance-sheet, presented by the Treasurer (Mr. R. N. Vanes), showed a credit balance of £62 2s. The gross receipts totalled £732, including subscriptions amounting to £147, deposits at call amounting to £445 7s.
Election of Officers.—The election of officers for the year 1916 resulted as follows: President—Professor P. Marshall; Vice-Presidents—Mr. R. Gilkison and Professor J. K. H. Inglis; Hon. Secretary—Mr. E. J. Parr; Hon. Treasurer—Mr. R. N. Vanes; Hon Auditor—Mr. H Brasch; Hon. Librarian—Professor Benham; Council—Professors W. B. Benham, R. Jack, J. Park, Dr. R. V. Fulton, Messrs. W G. Howes, J. B. Mason, and G. M. Thomson.
Mr. G. M. Thomson and Professor P. Marshall were re-elected representatives of the Institute on the Board of Governors of the New Zealand Institute.