Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Volume 53, 1921
This text is also available in PDF
(175 KB) Opens in new window
– 531 –

At the annual meeting (7th December, 1920) the annual report and balance-sheet were adopted.

Abstract.

Nine meetings of the Council were held during 1920. In addition to the usual routine work of managing the affairs of the Institute in general, the following items of special business were dealt with:—

Fellowship of the New Zealand Institute.—At the request of the New Zealand Institute the Council forwarded a list of eight nominations for the election of four Fellows.

Offer of Yale Telescopes.—Being informed that the Yale University has offered to lend to New Zealand some valuable instruments for charting the heavens, &c, the Council set up a sub-committee to co-operate with delegates from the Otago Expansion League and from the University Council. Ministerial sympathy in the project was aroused, and Dr. Adams, Government Astronomer, has completed a flying survey of the more distant parts. Several sites have been selected for more detailed investigation.

Dr. Tillyard's Visit.—Dr. Tillyard, of Sydney, was invited by the Council of the Institute to visit Otago for entomological research. He was similarly invited by the affiliated societies, and made remarkably successful studies in various parts of the Dominion. He gave two special lectures in Dunedin, under the auspices of the Institute, and reported to the Council at the end of his stay that all those special problems he had set himself to solve had been either solved or were in the process of solution.

Subsequently Dr. Tillyard accepted the position of Biologist to the Cawthron Institute, Nelson, and has recently represented the Dominion at the Entomological Congress in London.

Section for the Study of the Early History of Man.—At the instigation of Mr. H. D. Skinner, the Council agreed to establish a section for the study of the early history of man. A committee, including as co-opted members several prominent citizens and some members of the University staff, was set up to consider the best lines to follow. As a result a circular has been issued to members of the Institute and to others likely to join the section. It is hoped that the movement will be successful.

Appeal for a Larger Interest on the Part of the Public.—In order to popularize the work of the Institute the Council has decided that the ordinary meetings shall be open to the public. A circular has also been issued appealing for a larger membership.

Meetings.—Eight ordinary and three special meetings of the Institute were held. At these meetings the following papers were read, and have since been submitted for publication in the Transactions: Dr. R. V. Fulton, “Description of a Stone supposed to have been used by the Maoris for sharpening Weapons”; Professor J. Park, “The Geological History of Eastern Marlborough”; J. M. Fowler (communicated by Professor Park), “On an Ice-striated Rock-surface on the shore of Circle Cove, Lake Manapouri”; Professor W. N. Benson, “Palaeozoic and Mesozoic Seas and Lands in Australasia”; Mrs. D. E. Johnson (communicated by Dr. J. Malcolm), “Food Value of New Zealand Fishes, Part II.”

The following addresses were given at the ordinary meetings during the session: Dr. R. V. Fulton, “Pakeha v. Maori” (presidential address); Professor J. Malcolm, “Some Experiments on Contraction of Muscle”; D. Tannock, “Climate in Relation to Human Welfare”; Professor W. B. Benham, “The History of the Tuatara”; Professor J. Macmillan Brown, “The Pacific Ocean and its Future”; Professor Dunlop, “Psychology and Industry”; P. Rouse, “The Development of Artificial Fertilizers”; Dr. Adams, Government Astronomer, “Some Observatories and their Work.”

Special addresses were given on nights other than the ordinary times of meeting of the Institute. They were: “Dragon-flies and Fossil Insects,” two lectures by Dr. Tillyard; and one, “Volcanoes and Volcanology,” by Dr. T. A. Jaggar, Government Volcanologist at Honolulu. All these addresses proved very interesting, and were fairly well attended.

Librarian's Report.—The Institute has opened subscriptions to the following new journals and periodicals: Geographical Journal, Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institution (in continuation), The Radio Review, Wireless, and to a very interesting

– 532 –

publication, Discovery, which appeals to the general reader, for it contains articles written by well-known authorities on a great variety of subjects, literary, archaeological historical, classical, as well as scientific subjects. Several new books have been purchased, and a number of volumes have been presented by Dr. Colquhoun to the Anthopological Section.

As reported last year, the University has added considerably to the library in the Museum, especially to the anthropological works. That institution has also received from the Carnegie Research Institute of Washington the series of monographs issued by them, which are housed in the library.

I am glad to be able to report that more use is being made of the library by members than in preceding years.

Membership.—During the year four of the members on last year's list have died and sixteen have resigned. Fourteen new members have joined, so that the list now stands at 152, as against 158 for last year.

Balance-sheet.—The year's transactions show a credit balance of £5 12s. 8d. The gross receipts totalled about £700, including subscriptions amounting to £145, and deposits at call, £462.

Election of Officers for 1921.—President—W. G. Howes, F.E.S. Vice-Presidents—Dr. R. V. Fulton and H. Brasch. Hon. Secretary—Professor W. N. Benson, B.A., D.Sc., F.G.S. Hon. Treasurer—J. C. Begg. Hon. Auditor—R. Gilkison. Hon. Librarian—Professor W. B. Beaham, M.A., D.Sc, F.R.S., F.N.Z.Inst. Council—Hon. G. M. Thomson, F.N.Z.Inst., F.L.S., M.L.C.; Professor J. Park, F.G.S.; Professor R. Jack, D.Sc.; Professor W. B. Benham, M.A., D.Sc, F R.S., F.N.Z.Inst.; H. Mandeno; H. D. Skinner, B.A.; and G. S. Thomson, B.Sc.

Technological Branch.

During the session the Technological Branch was wound up and its assets transferred to the main account of the Institute.

Astronomical Branch.

The Astronomical Branch has held only one general meeting (on the 3rd August), at which the following contributions were given: Professor White, “Some Notes on Mars”; J. C. Begg, “A Visit to Lick Observatory”; Professor Jack, “The Offer of Telescopes by Yale University.” On the last topic Professor Park, who presided, also read some notes, and a strong case was made out for Central Otago as an ideal site for an observatory.

It was decided to co-operate with the committee of the general Institute in endeavouring to secure the Yale instruments for Otago, and useful records of the night sky at several points in the province have since been obtained from interested local observers.

The branch has also carried on negotiations with a view of securing a commanding site on the Town Belt, and erecting thereon a small observatory to house the Beverly telescope and the transit instrument in its possession.

At the annual meeting, held on the 7th December, the following office-bearers were elected: Chairman—R. Gilkison. Vice-Chairmen—Professor Park, F.G.S.; Professor R. Jack, D.Sc.; and Professor D. R. White, M.A. Committee—Rev. D. Dutton, F.R.A.S.; Dr. P. D. Cameron; H. Brasch; C. Frye; J. W. Milnes; Rev. A. M. Dalrymple, M.A. Hon. Secretary—J. C. Begg, Fifield Street, Roslyn.