Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Volume 64, 1935
– 390 –

National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum.
Report by Vice-president.

During the year ending 31st March, 1934, five meetings of the Board of Trustees have been held, and these were attended by your representatives, the President's deputy (Professor Kirk or by Dr Marshall) and the Vice-president; also by Mr Oliver, a member of this Council.

A matter for congratulation is that the Hon. the Minister of Internal Affairs (Mr Young) was able to attend and preside over most of the meetings.

Building.—The main work of the year took place in connection with the erection of the main building, which had been decided upon last year. The building operations have gone steadily forward according to schedule; Putaruru vitric tuff is the only stone being used in the construction, and it has continued to give the same satisfaction as it has done in the completed Carillon building. At the end of the business year, 31st March, 1934, the erection of the building was well advanced, and the arrangements for the laying of the foundation stone had been completed. It is now possible to see from the lay-out the Museum galleries.

Committee of Control.—Messrs Fraser, Aston. and Oliver were appointed a sub-committee to look into the matter of an appointment of a committee to control the Museum as provided by the Act, and to report later to the Board, but so far no meeting of this committee has been held.

– 391 –

Finance.—The collection of outstanding subscriptions has proceeded satisfactorily, and with the assurance of the Government subsidy the finances may now be described as being in a sound condition, and the completion of the building scheme is assured.

An amending Act to the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum Act was introduced and passed by Parliament last session; this provided for the appointment, when necessary, of an acting-chairman to the Board, as well as permitting the Wellington City Council to have an additional representative on the Board.

It is interesting to note that the Museums Journal (England) of December, 1933, contained a description of the history and organisation of the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum (Wellington), and devoted space to the reproduction of plans of the buildings. The same journal also stated that the Carnegie Corporation of New York has allocated 50,000 dollars for the development of Museum work in New Zealand, to be administered by a local committee.

B. C. Aston,


Vice-president.