Carter Observatory Board.
Report of Society's Representatives.
There has been no change in the constitution of the Carter Observatory Board since our last report, and a further eight meetings have been held.
The construction of the new Observatory has been completed and the rooms furnished. Several months were spent by the Observatory staff in overhauling, cleaning, and painting the 9-inch telescope and, although much fine adjustment is still necessary on the instrument, it is already in working order. It has not yet been possible for the staff to devote the necessary time to put the spectro-helioscope into operation. There is little chance of being able to proceed with the mounting of the 20-inch telescope until after the war.
The Observatory Library has been augmented by a valuable gift from Dr. L. J. Comrie, London, of fourteen cases of books consisting for the most part of the private libraries of the late Dr. A. C. D. Crommelin and Mr. H. P. Hollis, both formerly of the Greenwich Observatory. With the addition of the Dominion Observatory astronomical library, which has been transferred to the new building, the present Library is very well stocked and should prove to be a most valuable source of astronomical information.
The temporary Observatory building, which had existed since 1924 and was known, prior to its being handed over to the Board, as the Wellington City Observatory, was demolished early in December, 1941.
Adequate insurances, including war risk insurance, have been taken out for the new building and its furnishings.
On the 20th December, 1941, the Carter Observatory was officially opened by the Right Honourable the Prime Minister, Mr. P. Fraser, P.C., when he unveiled the memorial plaque, which reads: