Nelson Philosophical Society.
President: Mr. F. G. Gibbs.
Hon. Secretary and Treasurer: Mr O. B. Pemberton.
The Committee submits the following report of the work of the Nelson Philosophical Society for the year ending 30th September, 1941:—
The statement of Receipts and Expenditure shows a credit balance of £1 4s 11d.
The membership of the Society consists of 28 members, and 15 associate members, making a total of 43.
Meetings of the Society have been held as follows:—
24th October: Display of Exhibits and short addresses—(1) Dr K. M. Curtis, Tobacco Plants; (2) Dr H. O. Askew, Microchemical Reagents; (3), Miss E. B. Kidson, Colour Tests: (4) Sir Thomas Easterfield, Silica Calculi; (5) Mr T. A. Johnson, Plans of Some Public Buildings; (6) Mr W. C. Davies, Recent Accessions to Cawthron Institute Museum.
27th May: Public meeting in Marsden Hall, Mr H. A. Fullarton, of Public Works Department, Wellington, “Air Raid Precautions.”
17th June: Mr V. J. Hawke, Bacteriologist, Nelson Public Hospital, “The Clinical Examination of Blood.”
22nd July: Mr E. F. Lord, of Kirkpatrick and Co., Ltd., “Food Preservation.”
19th August: Dr D. Miller, “Termites.”
16th September: Mr T. A. Johnston, Presidential Address; “Some Aspects of Highway Beautification.”