Reports of Member Bodies.
Auckland Institute and Museum
Annual Report for the Year 1945–46.
President: Mr. J. C. Rennie, LL.B.
Director: Gilbert Archey, O.B.E., M.A., D.Sc., F.R.S.N.Z.
During the year just passed the position of the Institute and Museum has become more established in that the further financial assistance promised by the contributing Local Bodies has become a fact, and under “The Auckland War Memorial Amendment Act, 1945,” the 24 Local Bodies concerned will commence paying the agreed increased contributions. The splendid co-operation of the Local Bodies enabled the proposed Act to become law. As a direct consequence the Institute and Museum will be enabled to grant long delayed salary increases, to make extra staff appointments, and to acquire much-needed equipment, etc.
As a result of the new Act the North Shore Boroughs, comprising Devonport, Birkenhead, Northcote, and Takapuna, become entitled to elect one extra representative to the Museum Council. This means that in addition to the Mayor of Auckland and the three Auckland City Council nominees there will be other Local Body representatives on the Council. Election of Local Body representatives to the Museum Council will in future coincide with Local Body elections; that is, Local Body representatives on the Council of the Institute and Museum will hold office for three years instead of one year as heretofore. It is felt that this alteration will give the public of Auckland and surrounding districts better representation on the Council.
Services. Notwithstanding reduced staff (owing to war requirements) the services of the Museum have been maintained up to a very high standard.
A full syllabus of evening lectures met with a splendid response from members and from the public, and the popular Sunday afternoon series in the Museum Library were equally well attended.
The Educational Service has had a record year. Lessons of at least one hour's duration have been given to no less than 38,610 children, 15,000 of whom were from intermediate and secondary schools. These figures are greatly in excess of the best previous years. It is now realised by the Council and staff that if the educational side of the Museum is to be given freedom of development, extra accommodation at the Museum in the way of lecture hall and class rooms is an absolute necessity.
A healthy sign is evident in the ever-increasing number of daily inquiries from the public on a wide variety of topics.
Membership. The year commenced with a membership roll of 651, including 191 Life Members, of whom we have lost 8 by death and 16 by resignations and deletions. A total of 101 members have been elected this year and the roll now stands at 728, of whom 206 are Life Members. The number of new members this year is encouraging, but we must not cease in our effort to reach the objective of 1,000 members. With the growing public interest in the Institute and Museum that objective is not impossible.
Obituary. The death of the following members is recorded with sincere regret; Colonel D. N. W. Murray, Professor T. L. Lancaster, Dr. W. S. Hill, Dr. W. C. MacKnight, Rev. Brother Fergus, Mr. S. W. House, representative of Local Bodies on the Museum Council, and Messrs. J. E. Attwood, A. Kent, and J. R. Rendell.
It is also with great regret that we have to record the death of Mr. Edwin Leece, who was mechanic on the Museum Staff from 1928 to his retirement in 1943.
The death of Mr. S. W. House removes from the Council one of the first of the representatives elected by Local Bodies. It was the Educational Service of the Museum among school children that always appealed to Mr. House, and we shall miss his practical support very much indeed.
Council Meetings. The Council held eight meetings during the past year, all of which were well attended.
Gifts to the Museum. An outstanding gift of the year was a valuable and representative collection of Worcester and Chelsea China presented by Mr. W. G. White, of Hawera. Mr. White's generosity secures for the Museum a collection which in its particular field and within the limits of size is not excelled in the museums of the world. At a meeting of the Council on October 17, 1945, it was resolved that Mr. White's name be submitted to the Annual Meeting for Honorary Life Membership.
A sum of £2,000 as an endowment for cinematography, or for such other purposes as the Council decides, and also a gift of £20 towards the cost of extra book cases in the Library were received from anonymous donors.
Further gifts actually received during the year were: £500 from the Auckland Savings Bank for improvements to the exhibition halls; £100 from the Auckland Electric Power Board; £70 from Mr. R. C. Horton for purchase of a Georgian silver tea set; and £10 10s from Mr. W. R. Collins towards new cases for the White collection of china.
Gifts of 10 guineas towards the Museum funds were received from Messrs. C. A. Whitney, J. J. Craig, and F. E. Montgomery, and gifts of one guinea each from Mr. B. Sladden and the Auckland Kindergarten Association.
We heartily tender our thanks to all donors for their gifts.
Members will call to mind the most handsome gift which the Institute and Museum received last year at the hands of Mr. E. Earle Vaile. Comprising two valuable unencumbered freehold properties, the gift surpasses anything yet received. During the past twelve months these properties have yielded a net revenue of £717. The Trust Board decided to set aside an annual sum of £100 to a reserve fund against possible major repairs to the buildings. This leaves a balance of £617 for the purposes of the trust, and is equal to a return of 3 per cent. on over £20,000. It will be seen that from such gifts as Mr. Vaile's the Museum, being exempt from taxation receives the maximum benefit.
The main object of this endowment is the purchase of exhibits, preferably Maori artifacts and also rare works on New Zealand and the Pacific area. It is worthy of note that already desirable ethnographical collections and many valuable books have been acquired under the Trust.
Staff. The Director, Dr. Gilbert Archey, was granted leave of absence to take up duties in Malaya with the Civil Affairs Division of the South-East Asia Command. His work is concerned with the preservation of monuments and works of art in the Asiatic countries formerly occupied by the Japanese.
After the departure of Dr. Archey in July last, Mr. A. W. B. Powell was appointed Acting Director. In addition to the administrative duties involved, Mr. Powell has managed to maintain progress with his normal work in the departments of Conchology, Palacontology, and Marine Natural History.
During Dr. Archey's absence, Mr. F. V. Fisher holds the position of Acting Assistant Director.
Mr. Marshall C. Cleland, Librarian, who has completed 35 years on the Museum staff, retired in March of this year.
We are glad to have back with us again Mr. E. G. Turbott and Mr. R. A. Scobie. Mr. Turbott has been serving in the overseas forces and returned to the Museum in January and was appointed Ornithologist and Entomologist.
Mr. Scobie, formerly Educational Officer, has returned after four years' overseas service and expects to resume his duties in May.
Transport. The question of providing improved transport facilities for visitors to the Museum has during the year been taken up with the City Corporation and the Auckland Transport Board, but up to the present no progress has been made. The question is one of pressing importance and now that hostilities have ceased, further representations will be made to the controlling authority.
General. On the evening of January 18, 1946, the Museum was made available to the University College for the purpose of a Conversazione in honour of the visiting members of the University Senate. A film on Little Barrier Island by Mr. E. G. Turbott was shown, and the staff assisted as guide lecturers. The Council was glad of the opportunity of granting this courtesy to the University College.
In spite of rigid economies we have had a hard struggle to make ends meet. We look forward to the coming year, which affords a brighter prospect with the increased funds made possible by the generous support of the contributing Local Bodies.
With an ever-increasing interest, both by the public and by members of the Institute, in the work of the Museum, and with the assured help of the staff, it is certain that the service given by the Museum will continue to meet all demands.
J. C. Rennie, President.
Report of Chairman of Trust Board.
The endowment funds have increased by £2,803 during the year; this includes £2,000 given by a lady member as a fund for Museum cinematography, £273 Life Members' subscriptions, and the Auckland Savings Bank's donation of £500 to provide revenue for improvements in the exhibition halls. These amounts and mortgage repayments have been invested in New Zealand Inscribed Stock. The investments can all be looked upon as first-class and there are no interest payments in arrears.
The Edward Earle Vaile Trust Accounts comprise only three quarterly returns. Including the last quarter's proceeds, received after 31st March, the Trust has earned a net income of £717–£386 was spent on collections and books, and after the Obsolescence Reserve, at present £86 18s 4d, has been brought up to £100, there will remain £231 immediately available at the beginning of the new financial year for the purposes of the Trust. Painting and maintenance have been carried out, Mr. Vaile himself generously contributing £24 towards the former.
V. J. Larner.
Report of Acting Director.
Institute Meetings. The Monday evening lectures at the University College Hall were very well attended. The subjects were topical and covered many aspects of science in relation to the war. In addition, two lectures were arranged by the British Medical Association.
For this excellent syllabus of lectures the members' thanks are due to Dr. J. C. Andrews, F.N.Z.I.C. (“Food Problems of the War”); Professor T. D. J. Leech, B.Sc., B.E. (“The Back Room Boys: The Work of the Engineering Section, D.S.I.R., at the Auckland School of Engineering”); Squadron-leader G. B. Bell, B.E., B.Sc. (“Quiet Workers: The Story of the Engineering Division, Auckland Technical Development Branch, D.S.I.R., 1943–45”); Mr. I. D. Stevenson, M.Sc., A.M.Inst.E.E. (“The Development of Radar”); Dr. R. E. Cooper (“The Dominion Physical Laboratory: Its Functions and Activities”); Professor P. W. Burbidge, M.Sc., B.A. (Res.) (“Physics in the War”); Lieutenant-Colonel E. Marsden, C.B.E., M.C., D.Sc., F.R.S.N.Z. (“Science in the Post-War Years”); Major G. Blake Palmer, N.Z.M.C. (“The Italian Commune: A Study in Civic Development and Anarchy”); Dr. E. G. Sayers (“Allergy”); Colonel Sir Stanton Hicks (“Feeding an Army”).
A most successful new feature was a Saturday afternoon visit to the Plant Research Station. Mount Albert, at the invitation of Dr. G. H. Cunningham.
Three ordinary meetings were held to hear papers presented by Dr. G. Blake Palmer and Messrs. N. G. Stevenson, E. G. Turbott, and A. W. B. Powell.
Sunday Lcctures. Ethnographical, geological, and natural history subjects were covered by the Sunday afternoon lectures in the Museum library. Lieutenant-Colonel W. W. Clemesha, “The Indus Valley Civilisation”; Professor Arnold Wall, “Alpine Plants of New Zealand”; Dr. G. Blake Palmer, “The Berber People of North Africa”; Mr. C. C. Comyns, “Hall Marks: Their History and Significance”; Miss M. W. Crookes, “Plant Folk-lore”; Mr. V. F. Fisher, “Native Life in Polynesia”; Captain G. A. Humphreys-Davies, “Buddhas”; Mr. A. W. B. Powell, “New Zealand's Geological Past.”
Anthropology and Maori Race Section. The Section has managed throughout the war period to function successfully, despite fewer meetings and a reduced membership. During the last year there were 30 financial members.
Lectures were given by Major Holland, Dr. G. B. Palmer, and Messrs. K. Harawira, H. E. Maude, and V. F. Fisher.
The officers for the year were: Chairman, Mr. A. D. Mead; Vice-Chairmen, Messrs. R. A. Scobie and A. T. Pycroft; Hon. Secretary, Mrs. E. G. Turbott; Committee—Miss O. L. G. Adams, Miss L. Chrisp, and Messrs. V. F. Fisher, G. Graham, and J. Paykel.
With the return of normal conditions the Section looks forward to enlarged activities and a considerable increase in membership.
A. W. B. Powell.
The Wellington Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand (Inc.)
Seventy-eighth Annual Report, being the Report of the Council for the Year ended 30th September, 1945.
Council: The Council has held eight meetings during the year under review. The President, Mr. H. S. Lamburd, who left for overseas in connection with his business, was granted leave of absence by the Council, and since July his place has been filled by the Vice-President, Dr. J. K. Dixon.
Membership: Forty-six new members have been elected during the year. This figure includes 24 full members and 22 associate members. Four members have resigned during the year, two have died, two have been transferred to other Branches of the Royal Society, and two have been removed from the books on account of their correspondence being returned through the post, leaving a total membership at 30th September, 1945, of 324–255 full, 69 associates. An application form with details of the size and objects of the Branch appended was printed early in the session and has been a valuable aid in recruiting new members.
Syllabus: The meetings of the Society and most meetings of the Sections have continued to be held at Victoria College, and the Council wishes again to express its thanks to the Victoria College Council for the facilities placed at the disposal of the Society. Following is a list of the meetings held during the year:—
General Meetings: October 25, 1944, Annual General Meeting, followed by a screening of educational and scientific films. May 2, 1945, Presidential Address, “Wind Energy as a Possible Future Source of Power,” by Mr. H. S. Lamburd. May 23, 1945, Address by Mr. Sydney Greenbie, “Trends in Education in the United States.” June 27, 1945, Address by Rev. D. D. Scott, D.D., M.A., LL.B., “Is There a Science of Psychical Research?” July 25, 1945, Address by Dr. P. P. Lynch, “The Expert Witness.” August 22, 1945, Address by Mr. F. H. Neumann, “An Introduction to Architecture.” September 26, 1945, Conversazione arranged by the various sections of the Society. This replaced an address that was to have been given by Dr. H. O. Askew, but which had to be postponed on account of the illness of the latter.
Astronomy Section: The following monthly addresses commencing in May, 1945, have been given to the Section: “Solar System,” by Mr. G. T. Railton; “The Sun,” by Mr. I. L. Thomsen; “The Constellations,” by Mr. M. S. Butterton; “Astronomical Instruments,” by Mr. G. T. Railton; and “The Stars,” by Mr. I. L. Thomsen.
Biological Section: The following are the monthly addresses delivered before this Section as from September, 1944: “The Primitive Springtail and Its Importance in Zoogeography,” by Mr. J. T. Salmon; “Beyond the Microscope,” by Dr. I. V. Newman; “Revision of the Current Theory of Echinoderm Embryology. Embryology of the Viviparous Ophiuroid Amphipholus squamata,” by Dr. H. B. Fell; “Study of Soil Fungi in Relation to Root Rot of Wheat in New Zealand,” by Mr. J. H. Warcup; “Possible Future Development of Indigenous Forests in New Zealand,” by Mr. C. M. Smith; “Ocular Lesions in Phenothiozine Poisoning in Calves,” by Mr. L. Whitten; and “On Medicinal Plants,” by Mr. D. Cairns. In October, 1944, the Section held a Symposium to discuss “New Zealand's Contribution to Post-war European Agriculture and Food Relief,” when these persons led the discussion: Dr. I. V. Newman (Introduction), Dr. I. D. Blair (General), Mr. D. Cairns (Seed Production), Dr. W. M. Hamilton (Economic Aspects), Mr. G. M. Pottinger (Meat Products), Mr. A. H. Ward (Dairy Products).
Geology Section: Monthly addresses given before this Section, commencing with September, 1944: “The Geology of Malaya,” by Dr. M. Alexander; “Tertiary Nautiloids in New Zealand,” by Mr. C. A. Fleming; “Advances in Geomorphology in 1943,” by Professor C. A. Cotton; “The First Thirty Years of the Geology Section,” by Mr. M. Ongley; “Origin of the Otaki Sandstone,” by Mr. R. L. Oliver; “The Pegmatites—Source of the World's Largest Crystals and Rarest Elements,” by Dr. C. O. Hutton.
Physics Section: Commencing in April, 1945, the Physics Section has held demonstrations and addresses as follows: “Radio Frequency Heating,” by Mr. K. B. Gilby, B.E.; “Some Research and Development Projects at the Dominion Physical Laboratory,” by a group of speakers; “Recent Developments in Magnetometers,” by Mr. J. Simpson, B.E., M.Sc.; “Measurement and Control of Temperature in Industry,” by Mr. G. S. Marshall; “Some Research and Development Projects at the Radio Development Laboratory,” by a group of speakers; “Radio Propagation and Weather,” by Dr. F. E. S. Alexander.
Social Science Section: The following monthly meetings of the Section have been held as from October, 1944; “Mental Hygiene in New Zealand,” by Dr. E. Beaglehole; “New Zealand and U.N.R.R.A.,” by Mr. G. V. Burton; “Stabilisation in New Zealand,” by Mr. L. C. Webb; “Wartime Monetary Conditions and Public Finance,” by Mr. G. Lawn; “Rehabilitation and Training Facilities for Industrial Occupations,” by Hon. C. F. Skinner; “Psychiatry and Crime,” by Dr. R. W. Medlicott.
Technology Section: The following monthly addresses have been given before the Section, commencing April, 1945: “Experiences of a Communications Engineer Overseas,” by Mr. G. R. Milne, B.Sc., A.M.I.E.E.; “The Chemical Engineer,” by Mr. Maskill Smith; “Wellington Weather,” by Dr. R. G. Simmers;
“Some Features of a Visit to America, with Special Reference to Bridges and Highways,” by Mr. H. Hume, B.E., B.Sc., A.M.Inst.E.; “Science in a Traditional Industry—Building,” by Mr. J. L. Mandeno. In addition, two visits were made to the Central Park and Khandallah Sub-stations and Exide Batteries, Ltd.
Papers for Publication: During the year advice was received that papers for publication in the Transactions may, during the recess of the Branch, be read before the Council of a Member Body. The following have been read before the Branch during the session just closed:—October 25, 1944: “Notes on the Eggs of New Zealand Paryphantidae with Description of a New Sub-genus,” by Mr. A. C.-O'Connor. “Notes and Synonymy in Some Generic Names of the Collembola,” by Mr. J. T. Salmon. “Cladonema variabilis n.sp. A New Marine Gymnoblastic Hydrozoan from New Zealand Waters,” by Miss P. M. Ralph. May 1, 1945: “A Revision of the Current Theory of Echinoderm Embryology,” by Dr. H. Baraclough Fell. “The Embryology of the Viviparous Ophiuroid Amphipholus squamata Delle Chiage,” by Dr. H. Baraclough Fell. May 23, 1945: “Contributions to the Mineralogy of New Zealand, Part 1,” by Dr. C. O. Hutton. September 26, 1945: “Contributions to a Knowledge of the Naturalized Flora of New Zealand, No. 1,” by Mr. A. J. Healy.
Representation on the Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand: Dr. L. I. Grange and Professor L. R. Richardson have continued to represent the Branch.
Dominion Museum Bwilding: As the Branch was unable to secure an appointment with the Prime Minister, the matter was taken over by the Royal Society of New Zealand, who, also, were unable to make any headway in this matter. However, with the cessation of hostilities on all fronts we now learn that the building will be handed back to its owners by the end of November next. The fine facilities and meeting room reserved for the Branch in the Museum building again will be available by the time the 1946 session is due to commence.
Library: Periodicals still continue to arrive at irregular intervals. Many of the books ordered over a year ago have not yet arrived. A substantial order for new books recently has been placed and a further order will be sent forward before the end of this year; but no indication can be given as to when these books will be available to members. Some binding has been completed by the Society's book-binders; but this work still is two years behind. Books from the Scientific Book Club have been delayed apparently on account of printing troubles in England, but a recent advice from our London agents states that several volumes recently have been despatched. These should come to hand in the near future. For the information of members there is attached to this report a list of all the recent accessions to the library over the last four to five years, together with a list of those books at present on order and the current periodicals taken at the library. Members are invited to submit suggestions for additions to the library to the Secretary.
Hector Medal: The congratulations of the Branch were given to Dr. J. Henderson on his receipt of the Hector Medal. The presentation of the Medal was made by Dr. P. Marshall, Vice-President of the Royal Society of New Zealand, at the meeting of the Branch held on 27th June, 1945.
Wild Life Committee: The Branch was associated with the Royal Society of New Zealand and the New Zealand Association of Scientific Workers in a deputation to the Minister of Internal Affairs which requested that portions of the Sounds District National Park should be set aside under scientific management as a Wild Life Sanctuary. The deputation received a very sympathetic hearing from the Minister, who expressed himself as very favourably inclined to the proposals put forward by the deputation.
Ruapehu Eruption. At Dr. Marsden's invitation, a Committee of the Geology Section was set up to consider the Ruapehu Eruption and what could be done to investigate it. Recommendations then were made to the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, who then took action in the matter.
Election of President and Vice-Presidents of the Royal Society: The Branch has proposed rules to regularise the election of these officers of the Royal Society of New Zealand, and this matter will come up for consideration at the next Annual Meeting of that Society.
Memorials: The sum of £4 4s was voted to assist in the erection of a head-stone on the grave of the late Murray Geddes, a member of the Branch who died while on active service in England last year.
The sum of £5 was voted towards the establishment of a memorial to the late Dr. Coleridge Farr.
Cockayne Memorial: Under the chairmanship of Dr. C. O. Hutton, this matter has again been taken up with the City Council, Government, Mr. Alfred Cockayne, Forest and Bird Protection Society, and other interested bodies, and good progress has been made. It is confidently expected that this matter will be finalised next year.
Observatory: The Observatory is in good order except for a downpipe which requires renewal. The 5in telescope has been kept in working order, but has not been quite so extensively used since the death of Mr. A. G. C. Crust, who had been making good use of it in star colour work.
Thanks: The Council wishes to record its thanks to the Council of Victoria College for continuing to place meeting rooms and facilities at the disposal of the Branch and also their appreciation of and thanks for the services of all persons who have contributed to the success of the meetings of the session just closed.
Canterbury Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand.
Annual Report for the Year 1945.
President: Mr. R. S. Duff. Hon. Secretary: Mr. George Guy.
The Council desires to submit the following report on the year's work to the Annual General Meeting, to be held on Wednesday, December 5, 1945.
Membership: Ordinary membership shows a substantial increase from 133 in 1944 to 159 in 1945. Thirty-five new members were elected during the year, whilst we lost one by death and eight by resignation or transfer.
Associate membership has increased from seven in 1944 to ten in 1945.
Obituary: The Society records with deep regret the loss by death of Mr. Stuart Lindsay, who was widely known in scientific circles as a student of New Zealand insect life and an authority on the rarer moths and butterflies. His leisure time was occupied in the study of insects and in regular correspondence with leading entomologists in New Zealand and abroad. He made many collecting trips in the Canterbury district from which the collections of the Canterbury Museum were enriched, and in 1927 he was appointed Honorary Entomologist to the Museum. Since that time he had the care of a steadily growing collection and he responded generously to the many demands for expert opinion on insect problems; in addition, he gave help and instruction to young students. He published several papers in the Records of the Canterbury Museum, but was more concerned with providing accurate data for others to publish. To mark its appreciation of his scientific work during 23 years' active membership of this Branch, the Council established a fund to purchase a cabinet to house, as a permanent display in the Canterbury Museum, some insect habitat groups prepared by Mr. Lindsay. Further details of this fund are contained in the Hon. Treasurer's report.
Council: Eleven ordinary meetings of the Council were held during the year.
Congratulations are extended to Dr. R. S. Allan, who has been appointed to the Chair of Geology at Canterbury University College, and to Mr. K. B. Cumberland, who has been appointed Lecturer in Charge of the Department of Geography at Auckland University College.
Formation of Social Science Section: As mentioned in the last Annual Report, a suggestion was made to the Branch that it should consider the advisability of establishing Sections. After due consideration a sub-committee recommended that a Social Science Section be established, and as a result the Social Science Section was inaugurated at a meeting held on 10th October, 1945. The objects of the Section are to promote the study and discussion of the social sciences. Membership is open to all members and associate members of the Branch without further payment of subscriptions.
At the first meeting, Mr. W. R. Geddes, M.A., read a paper entitled “Wartime Changes in a Native Community.”
Further meetings are to be held at least bi-monthly from March to October.
The following officers were elected for the year ending 30th September, 1946: Chairman, Dr. I. L. G. Sutherland; Secretary, Mr. A. J. Danks; Committee—“Mr. K. B. Cumberland, Dr. H. E. Field, Mr. C. G. F. Simkin.
Programme: Nine meetings were held during the year, three ordinary meetings at which papers were read and six evenings devoted to special addresses. A special address was also arranged for one of the ordinary meetings shortly after the first recorded use of the atomic bomb. Mr. C. D. Ellyett, at short notice, gave a popular address on “Splitting the Atom.” This was the best-attended meeting of the year and showed how the Society could gain more support by explaining latest sciéntific developments.
Three of the addresses were on the common theme, “Making New Zealand,” in which geological, botanical, and zoological origins were discussed. These addresses were also well received.
The following addresses were given: “Maori Culture in Time and Space” (Presidential Address), Mr. R. S. Duff. “Science in the Post-war World,” Dr. E. Marsden. “Making New Zealand” address series—No. 1, “The Geological Succession and the Tectonic Framework,” Dr. R. S. Allan; No. 2, “The Major Elements of the Fauna, their Relationships and Origins,” Dr. R. A. Falla; No. 3, “The Major Elements of the Flora, their Relationships and Origins,” Dr. W. R. B. Oliver. “Splitting the Atom (the Theory of the Atomic Bomb), Mr. C. D. Ellyett. “Recent Scientific Investigations on the Sub-Antarctic Islands of New Zealand,” Dr. R. A. Falla.
The following papers were presented:—May: Mr. C. R. Russell spoke to his paper (presented in 1944) on Rotatoria. July: Macleod, D. B., “Some Consequences of a Revised Equation of State” (for Transactions of the Fa [ unclear: ] aday Society of London). B [ unclear: ] ockie. W. B., “Some Notes on the Indigenous Vegetation of the Maruia River and Ada Pass, and Lists of Species.” September: Fry, S. A. A., “Further Notes on the Occurrence of Ganister in Relation to Coal.” Duff, R. S., “A Native Stone Quarry in the Whangamoa District.”
Lectures to Secondary Schools: This winter programme of six evening lectures proved as popular as ever. Attendances ranged from 100 to 140 for the first five lectures in the Canterbury College Hall, whilst between three and four hundred attended Dr. Falla's film evening in the Training College Hall. The programme was as follows:—“Before the Maori Fleet (Digging Up the Moa-hunters),” Mr. R. S. Duff. “Geology from the Air,” Dr. R. S. Allan. “The Use Man Makes of Plants (the Study of Economic Botany),” Mr. N. Lothian. “How Other People Live (Islanders of the Western Pacific),” Mr. W. R. Geddes. “Let's Look at the Weather (An Introduction to Weather Study),” Flying Officer J. Dugdale. “A Scientific Excursion to the Auckland and Campbell Islands” (illustrated by the film “Fifty Degrees South”), Dr. R. A. Falla. The Council wishes to record its thanks to all who have contributed towards the year's programme.
Riccarton Bush: After seventeen years' service as the Society's representative on the Board of Trustees of Riccarton Bush, Mr. C. E. Foweraker tendered his resignation, which was accepted with regret by the Council. Mr. W. B. Brockie was appointed to succeed Mr. Foweraker. Mr. Brockie's report is as follows:—During the past year maintenance work was carried out efficiently; 57 large oak trees at the western end of the bush were cut down in preparation for suitably replanting the area, and the paths, which were completely blocked with broken and bent-over branches as a result of the heavy snowfall on July 14 have been cleared. Visitors to the bush are most numerous on Sundays and public holidays; on one Sunday 260 people were counted entering the main gate. An immense amount of damage to trees and shrubs throughout the bush was caused by the snowfall. Because of the saturated condition of the ground and the high north-west wind which preceded the snowfall, tree roots would be loosened, and the great weight of snow on the branches uprooted and prostrated many of the smalle [ unclear: ] trees, especially ta [ unclear: ] ata. Dense growth of Muehlenbeckia australis on some trees undoubtedly contributed to their destruction. Severe
frost has killed all the few remaining titoki planted about twenty years ago, and many of the mahoe are so badly frosted it is doubtful if they will recover. As the mahoe in some places constitutes a considerable portion of the undergrowth, increased light will be admitted to the floor of the bush and this will tend to increase the spread of weed growth. Injuries suffered by some of the large white pines have probably resulted in a little permanent damage to the bush. Blackberry is the worst weed, and control of this pest and other self-introduced weeds still presents a major problem. In this connection it must be stated that inadequate finance prevents the employment of sufficient labour to restore the bush effectively to a condition in keeping with its original natural state. To the Ranger, Mr. Leonard Armstrong, the Board is deeply grateful for his full co-operation and willing service during a particularly difficult year.
Arthur Pass Board: The Council has made an attempt to have representation again on the Arthur Pass Board and has forwarded the name of Mr. E. F. Stead to the Commissioner of Crown Lands for possible inclusion on the Board.
Hon. Librarian's Report: Owing to the shortage of skilled binders, many of the Society's books have been at the bindery for over two years. These have recently begun to come back. Many more volumes are ready to be sent shortly, now that bindery conditions are improving.
Arrangements have been made to complete and continue the Proceedings A of the Royal Society of London, chiefly on the income from the C. Coleridge Farr Memorial Fund. The Proceedings B are being received as a presentation from Sir William Benham, F.R.S., formerly Professor of Biology at the University of Otago. Mr C. R. Russell has offered to help towards completing the set of the Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society.
The Society's publications have continued to sell, and stocks of The Natural History of Canterbury have almost been reduced to a point at which further copies will be made available only by Council resolution. There is a stock of some volumes of the Transactions, which are available for sale on the same terms as at the headquarters office in Wellington.
Members continue to use the combined libraries of the Society and Canterbury University College but there are still many members who do not take advantage of their rights. In particular, members outside Christchurch could make more use of the postal service.
C. Coleridge Farr Memorial Fund: The decision of the Council to keep this fund open was rewarded by additional donations during the year amounting to £80 13s 9d. The net total sum is now £537 6s 10d, of which £500 has been invested in Government 3 per cent. Stock. Interest to date amounts to £18 2s 6d. The fund is to be used for continuing the purchase and binding of the Proceedings A of the Royal Society of London. Arrangements in this connection are not yet complete, and the only expenditure to date has been £12 12s for binding.
The Hon. Treasurer wishes to make reference to the numerous and striking tributes paid to the late Dr. Farr by contributors to this fund, who include past students, friends, and organisations with which Dr. Farr was associated. The fund will remain open should any further contributions be contemplated.
Stuart Lindsay Memorial Fund: Reference is made elsewhere in the Report to the work of the late Mr. Stuart Lindsay. A fund was opened to assist in the purchase of a memorial cabinet in the Museum and a total of £15 15s was subscribed and handed over to the Museum authorities.
The Society is grateful to Mr. E. F. Stead for donating the balance of the amount required for this object.