Reports of Member Bodies
Wellington Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand
Annual Report for the Year ended 30th September, 1947
Membership. The total membership of the Branch now stands at 362, made up of 286 full members and 76 associate members.
Dr. P. Marshall was elected an Honorary Life Member of the Branch in recognition of his long service to it and the Royal Society of New Zealand.
Syllabus. All General Meetings and the majority of the Section Meetings during the year were held in the Society's Rooms, Dominion Museum. A list of the titles of addresses presented to the Branch in the year under review is as follows: 23rd October, 1946: Annual General Meeting, followed by a screening of scientific films in colour. 23rd April, 1947: Presidential Address, “Research in the Social Sciences,” by Mr. H. C. McQueen. 21st May, 1947: Presidential Address, “Scientists Look Towards the Future,” by the President of the Royal Society of New Zealand, Professor W. N. Benson, delivered before a combined meeting of Wellington Branch and Sixth Science Congress. 25th June, 1947: Address, “Industrial Hygiene,” by Dr. T. O. Garland. 23rd July, 1947: Symposium—Dr. W. Hamilton, Mr. C. Fleming, and Dr. K. A. Wodzicki—“White Island.” 27th August, 1947: “Plant Pilgrims,” by Profesor H. D. Gordon. 24th September, 1947: “Antibiotics,” by Dr. J. Melville.
The following addresses were given to Sections:
Astronomy Section. “Recent Developments in Astrophysics,” by Mr. W. M. Jones; “Nuclear Physics,” by Prof. D. C. H. Florance; “Woolnough's Graphical Navigation,” by Mr. S. L. Thomsen; “Stellar Photometry,” by Mr. G. Eiby.
Biology Section. “A Botanist, Here, There, in the Air and at the Adelaide Conference,” by Dr. I. V. Newman; “Only a Fly's Wing,” by Prof. R. B. Gold. schmidt; “The Homing Instinct, Fallacies and Fact.” by Dr. K. A. Wodzicki; “Development Work in the Genus Notheofagus,” by Mr. C. M. Smith; “Reactions of Mosquitoes to the Aircraft Environment,” by Mr. M. Laird; “Some Soil and Forest Relationships in North Auckland,” by Mr. N. H. Taylor.
Geology Section. “Notes on the Geology of the West Coast,” by Mr. H. W. Wellman; “The Geology of the Mokohinau Islands,” by Mr. C. A. Fleming; “The Geology of East Palliser Bay,” by Mr. R. W. J. McLaughlin; “Geosynclines,” by Mr. E. O. Macpherson; “Core Structures in the Poverty Bay Region,” by Mr. E. O. Macpherson; “Pacific Strandlines, Volcanic Eustatism and Tectonic or Structural,” by Prof. C. A. Cotton.
Physics Section. “Some Medical Aspects of X-rays,” by Dr. N. S. Hill; “Principles and Methods in Material Testing,” by Mr. C. L. Maloy; “Modern Alchemy and Sub-Atomic Energy,” by Dr. L. Bastings; “Life Testing of Thermionic Valves,” by Miss F. G. Holmes, B.Sc.; “The Possibility of Low Temperature Measurement of Brownian Motion,” by Mr. N. L. Maseyk, B.Sc.; “Measurement in Solar Ultra-Violet,” by Mr. F. F. Evison, M.A., B.Sc.; “The National Physical Laboratory,” by Mr. H. W. Robertson, B.E.; “Some Recent Advances in Meteorological Physics,” by Dr. B. M. Cwilong; “A High Magnification Electronic Recorder,” by Mr. W. B. Johnson, B.Sc.; and “A Recent Development in Thermoelectric Thermometry,” by Mr. J. W. Humphries, B.Sc.
Social Science Section. “Biases in Social Science Researches,” by Mr. H. C. McQueen; “Anxiety in Factory Girls,” by Dr. T. O. Garland; “A Consideration of the Recent Publication, Psychology and World Order,” by Dr. E. Beaglehole and Dr. Kohn; “Perspectives in Psychology,” by Mr. L. S. Hearnshaw.
Technology Section. “Utilization of Low Grade Coals,” by Mr. W. G. Hughson; “Impressions of a New Zealand Civil Engineer in the U.S.A.,” by Mr. H. Fullerton; “Trends in the Design of Power Stations,” by Mr. P. W. Blakely; “Naval Engineering,” by Mr. C. T. Pugh; “The Mechanics of Are Extinction,” by Mr. J. M. Goodall; and “Fuel Economy,” by Dr. V. Armstrong.
Special Meetings. Three special meetings were arranged during the year. On 9th October, 1946, Dr. E. Marsden spoke on “The Commonwealth Science Congress,” and on 20th November, Professor W. W. Greulich. Professor of Anatomy, Stanford University, spoke on “Some Observations on the Physical
Development and Growth of Normal Children.” Professor R. B. Goldschmidt, Professor of Zoology, University of California, addressed a Special Meeting of the Biology Section on 16th April, his subject being “Only a Fly's Wing.” On 27th March the New Zealand Institute of Engineers invited members of the Branch to attend an illustrated address by Dr. Percy Dunsheath entitled “Engineering Problems in Britain, During the War and After.”
Public Lectures. The final three lectures of the series were presented in October, 1946, and were reasonably well attended. The three addresses were as follows: “Bugs in the Home and Garden,” by Dr. J. T. Salmon; “Man's Most Dangerous Fallacy, the Myth of Race,” by Dr. Ernest Beaglehole; and “The Marvel of Instruments,” by Mr. J. A. Dallimore and Mr. G. S. Marshall. It is hoped to continue these lectures in the future.
Representation of the Council on the Royal Society of New Zealand. Dr. L. I. Grange and Professor L. R. Richardson have continued to represent the Branch.
Library. The Library has now been moved back into the Society's Rooms at the Dominion Museum.
Papers for Publication. Titles of papers read before the Branch for publication in the Transactions of the Royal Society of New Zealand were: 23rd October, “A Logic of Social Science Thought,” by Dr. E. G. Jacoby; “Notes on New Zealand Floristic Botany, No. 8,” by Dr. H. H. Allan; “Notes on Some New Zealand Fishes,” by Mr. W. J. Phillipps. 23rd April: “A New Genus and Species of the Family Acropsopilionidae (Opiliones) from New Zealand,” by Mr. R. R. Forster.
Science Congress. The Wellington Branch acted as host branch for the Sixth Science Congress, held in Wellington from the 20th to 23rd May, 1947, inclusive. Over 200 papers were presented, which were classified under eleven sections: Physical Sciences, Geographical Sciences, Medical Sciences, Animal Production, Chemical Sciences, Botanical Sciences, Zoological Sciences, Geological Sciences, Social Science, Ethnological Sciences and Technological Sciences. The Annual Conference of the New Zealand Society of Animal Production was held in conjunction with the Congress and the relevant papers on Animal Production were delivered at the Conference. The Chemical Sciences Section was arranged by the New Zealand Institute of Chemistry at their Annual Congress. The Congress was held at Victoria University College and the Dominion Museum, over 600 members being enrolled. The papers presented will be published in a special number of the Transactions of the R.S.N.Z.; all material is in the hands of the printer at the time of the preparation of this report. All reports received show that the Congress was most successful.
Waipoua Forest.—The Branch asked the Royal Society of New Zealand to set up a Committee to inquire into the present position regarding reserved areas for the preservation of the native flora and fauna with particular reference to Waipoua Forest. This Committee has now been constituted and the matter is under consideration.
Perth Meeting of the A. and N.Z.A.A. Science. Dr. J. T. Salmon was appointed to represent the Branch at this meeting.
Society's Rooms. The Society returned to its rooms in the Dominion Museum at the beginning of the year, and these have been used for the meetings of most of the year under review. Considerable improvements have been made in conjunction with the renovation of the Museum building. A committee room also equipped as a kitchen has been added to the meeting room, with a communicating door between the two rooms. A Zip heater and six dozen cups have been purchased and fifty theatre seats are on order.
Broadcast “How Things Began.” After the suspension of these broadcasts on direction from the Minister for Broadcasting, a committee was set up by the Branch to investigate and report on the matter. After considerable correspondence, permission was granted for six members of the Council to be present during the playing of three programmes from the series. As a result of their report on the recordings a letter has been sent to the Minister for Broadcasting stating that this branch considers that the broadcast presents proved facts in such a manner as to arouse interest in children in scientific matters and strongly recommends that the broadcasts be resumed at the earliest possible date. An offer was made to nominate a person competent in the particular field concerned
to be co-opted to the Advisory Committee when dealing with school broadcasts on Science in the future.
Cockayne Memorial. Dr. H. H. Allan is preparing a detailed report of the proposed memorial.
Observatory. The Observatory has been in use throughout the year. A number of repairs have been effected. The instruments are in good order and work on sunspot observation has continued.
The main room has been rented to the Geophysical Branch of the D.S.I.R. during the shortage of office accommodation.
H. C. McQueen, President.
J. T. Salmon, Secretary.
Auckland Institute and Museum
Annual Report for Year ended 31st March, 1948
Among gifts received during the year are: A gift of £5,000 by Trustees of Auckland Savings Bank, marking the centennial year of establishment of the bank. A bequest by the will of the late Mr. A. V. Hanson, which will probably amount to £1,500. A gift of £50 by the Auckland Electric Power Board. Many valuable books on voyages of discovery and early history of New Zealand and the Pacific obtained through the endowment made by Mr. Edward Earle Vaile. From this fund also were purchased two important collections of Maori arts and crafts.
Membership of the Institute. During the year 92 ordinary members and 17 life members have been enrolled, but we have lost from various causes 38 members. Our membership is now 787, of whom 223 are life members.
Honours.—Congratulations are extended to the Assistant Director, Mr. A. W. B. Powell, on the well-merited award of the Hector Medal for zoological research; to Professor Forder on his election as Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand; and to Mr. N. R. W. Thomas on the award of the Loder Cup for encouraging the study and cultivation of native plants. At the last Annual Meeting the members elected Sir Frank Mappin and Mr. J. C. Rennie Honorary Life Members in recognition of their notable services to the Institute and Museum.
Public Activities. The President and the Director represented the Museum at the formation of the Art Galleries and Museums Association of New Zealand. The establishment of this body is a forward step in the development of museum service, and will ensure co-operation among museums, with united and therefore stronger action in scientific research and education, both for schools and the adult community. The Council has joined the new body. The Council has set up an Adult Education Committee, under the chairmanship of Mr. P. Martin Smith, to further an interest in natural history and science in the community. A seat on the Auckland Regional Council for Adult Education, for which the Council of Auckland University College invited the Institute to make a nomination, has been taken by Dr. Archey.
The Council has given active assistance to the endeavours being made to preserve intact Waipoua Forest, and has become an institutional member of the Waipoua Forest Preservation Society. Members are urged to support the Council's and the Preservation Society's efforts. The Council has also given consideration to the intrusion of exotic pines and browsing animals on Rangitoto Island. Here also it asks members to co-operate with it and with the Rangitoto Domain Board in whatever efforts may be entered upon to eradicate these pests.
Pacific Science Congress. The Royal Society of New Zealand has invited the Auckland University College and the Institute and Museum to be joint host institutions for the Auckland sessions of the Seventh Pacific Science Congress in February, 1949. An Administrative Committee (Chairman, Dr. Archey) and a Programme Committee (Chairman, Dr. Cumberland) have been formed and, with the assured co-operation of the City Council and other local bodies and societies, adequate provisions for this important event will be made. Members of the Institute are asked to give the Congress their full support.
The War Memorial. At the last annual meeting Mr. J. C. Rennie, the then President, reported that His Worship the Mayor had recommended the completion of the Museum building as a memorial to those who died in the Second World War, so that Auckland's War Memorial would not be divided, but would maintain
unity in the memorial to the sacrifice made for the same cause by those who served in each of the two world wars. The recommendation was placed before a meeting of citizens in the Town Hall on 15th July, 1947, when the following resolution was approved:
“That the proposal to extend the Auckland War Memorial Institute and Museum be adopted and that the first moneys expended on the proposed War Memorial be on the completion of the Hall of Memories by placing therein the names of those who fell in the recent war, and the names of those who fell in the previous war and which have not been included in the Hall of Memories.”
It was further resolved that the proposal be submitted to the Government for approval as to subsidy.
A further meeting of citizens was held in the Town Hall on Thursday, 22nd April, 1948, when His Worship the Mayor, Mr. J. A. C. Allum, reported that he was now in receipt of a communication from the Minister of Internal Affairs (Hon. W. E. Parry, M.P.) advising him that the Government is prepared to subsidise, pound for pound, the moneys raised by direct contribution for the extension of the Auckland War Memorial Museum as the memorial for the City of Auckland for the war of 1939–45, except that neither contributions from local bodies, other than the City Council, that were applying for a subsidy for a local memorial, nor loan moneys would be subsidised.
Institute Meetings. Members were favoured last year with nine addresses by visitors in addition to the syllabus of lectures initially arranged. Our appreciative thanks for interesting lectures given are due to: Dr. E. M. Blaiklock, M.A.—“Aristophanes the Satirist: A Study of Comedy in a Time of War”; Dr. R. B. Goldschmidt, Professor of Genetics, University of California—“Only a Fly's Wing”; Mr. V. F. Fisher, M.A.—“The Nature Lore of the Maori”; Dr. W. M. Hamilton—“Land Utilisation in the Whangarei County”; Dr. D. Brown—“Atomic Energy”; Dr. K. B. Cumberland, M.A.—“Haushofer and Hitler: The Corruption of Geographical Science”; Dr. T. R. Vernon—“Antibiotics”; Professor C. G. F. Simkin, M.A.—“New Zealand's Interests in the Post-War Pacific Settlement”; Sir Stanton Hicks, M.D., Ph.D., University of Adelaide—“Positive Health”; Mr. James Fitzsimons, F.R.C.S. (Eng.)—“Surgery Without Fear”; Dr. R. A. Falla—“Unesco: Hope for United Nations”; Dr. Robert Cushman Murphy, Dean of the Ornithological Staff of the American Museum of Natural History—“A Biologist on the Antarctic Fringe”; Sir Reginald Stradling, C.B., F.R.S.—“Problems of Building Research”; Dr. Robert Cushman Murphy—“Wild-life Conservation”; Dr. L. J. Comrie, M.A.—“Computing Machines”; Sir Clifford Patterson—“Wartime Electrical Developments.”
At the three ordinary meetings papers were read by Mrs. O. M. Turbott, Miss M. W. Crookes, Dr. L. H. Briggs, Dr. G. Blake Palmer, Mr. J. B. Brown, Mr. A. W. B. Powell, Dr. D. Brown, and Mr. Harvey C. Smith.
Sunday Lectures. Public attendance at the series of seven Sunday afternoon lectures was again encouraging, accommodation in the Library being several times overtaxed. Contributors to the series were: Mr. J. C. Andersen—“New Zealand Trees”; Miss B. E. G. Molesworth—“Strang Plants of the Craigieburn Mountains”; Mr. M. Te Hau—“An Analysis of the Tangi”; Mr. E. G. Turbott—“Little Barrier Bird Sanctuary”; Mr. J. A. McPherson—“The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew”; Mr. M. H. Battey—“Floating Islands”; Mr. V. F. Fisher—“Easter Island.” Members of the Staff also gave lectures to outside societies and clubs.
Anthropology and Maori Race Section. The Section experienced another very successful year; membership increased from 37 to 53, while attendances at lectures ranged from 30 to 80 with an average of 50. An interesting and encouraging feature has been the vigorous discussion following lectures.
Lectures were delivered by Lieutenant-colonel E. R. Sawyer, Dr. G. Blake Palmer, Messrs. J. C. Andersen, V. F. Fisher, M. Te Hau and K. T. Harawira, while one evening was devoted to a very interesting discussion, most ably led by Messrs. W. Cooper, S. Tana, Boyes, Patrick Smythe and Professor Keyes.
Astronomical Section. The Auckland Astronomical Society's usual activities, which lapsed during the war years, were resumed in 1947 with every evidence of enthusiasm among members. An observatory sub-committee has busied itself exploring alternative plans for a permanent observatory when conditions permit
its erection and meanwhile has been loaned a 12in. reflector which it is hoped to use temporarily on a suitable site.
Exhibitions. The tour throughout New Zealand of the British Council Rural Crafts Exhibition commenced with a display in the War Memorial Museum from 22nd May to 1st June.
Local handiwork of a high order was seen in the Auckland Model Aero Club's exhibition of model acroplanes, gliders and engines.
Publications. “Native Animals of New Zealand,” in which the Assistant Director, Mr. A. W. B. Powell, gives an account of all types of our native fauna, has experienced a hearty reception, the first edition of 4,000 copies being bought within fourteen weeks, and a second edition being already more than half sold. School teachers and pupils alike welcome Mr. Powell's clear descriptions and admirable pen-drawings. Heavy calls have also been made by the schools on Mr. Turbott's insect leaflets, which will shortly have to be reprinted. Miss Evans' published list of all the scientific periodicals contained in the library will be of service to all libraries and research institutions.
The customary annual issue of the Museum “Records” contains scientific papers by Mrs. Turbott, Mr. Powell, Dr. H. B. Fell, and Mr. G. Chamberlain.
Research. Notwithstanding the somewhat limited equipment available, a not inconsiderable body of research is accomplished. In this connection members of the Staff join in congratulating their colleague, Mr. Powell, on the award of the Hector Medal for his distinguished researches in Zoology.
Education Service. The following is a summary of the number of children having attended one-hour lessons for the year ended 31st March, 1948.
[The section below cannot be correctly rendered as it contains complex formatting. See the image of the page for a more accurate rendering.]
The total for the year ended 31st March, 1948, showed a drop of 7,624 on the previous year's attendance. This was caused by the closing of schools during December, February and March due to the epidemic. During the same period for the year ended 31st March, 1947, 9,320 children attended Museum classes.
Material has been sent to 197 town and country schools, but there are 98 schools continually requesting material which cannot be supplied. This year 73 Training College students have been posted to the Museum for teaching practice.
Library. During the year 967 books have been added to the Library, 711 of which have been purchased from the Edward Earle Vaile Trust Fund. These include books about New Zealand and a number of early, scarce works on Pacific exploration. Sixty-two periodicals are subscribed to and over 200 are received by donation or exchange.
Canterbury Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand
Annual Report for the Year 1947
Membership. There has again been a substantial increase in the ordinary and associate membership of the society. The ordinary membership has increased from 187 to 227; the associate membership has increased from 10 to 18.
Obituary. The Society records with deep regret the death during the year of Mr. H. F. Skey, Mr. Skey was for many years director of the Magnetic Observatory in Christchurch. Born in Dunedin, he received his secondary education at the Otago Boys' High School and later attended Otago University, where he graduated M.Sc. in 1897 with honours in physics. Mr. Skey was appointed assistant to Dr. C. Coleridge Farr, who was then director of the Magnetic Survey in Christchurch; on Dr. Farr's retirement in 1903 he was appointed director, a position which he held until his retirement in 1940. Mr. Skey conducted many magnetic surveys throughout New Zealand, and also in the Chatham, Auckland, and Campbell Islands.
Mr. F. J. T. Grigg, who has been Honorary Treasurer since October, 1942, resigned his offices of Vice-President and Honorary Treasurer in July following his appointment as Assistant Director of the Dominion Laboratory, Wellington. Dr. R. O. Page was appointed Honorary Treasurer in his place, and Professor G. G. Calvert was elected Vice-President.
Dr. R. A. Falla left at the end of October to take up the appointment of Director of the Dominion Museum, Wellington. During his eleven years at the Canterbury Museum Dr. Falla has been an active member of the Society. He has served on the Council since 1937, and has been President, Vice-President, and one of our Representatives on the Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand.
Following the re-organization of the Field Club in June, Mr. G. Stokell, who was elected Chairman of the Club, took his seat on the Council.
General. In April, 1948, the control of the Canterbury Museum will pass from Canterbury University College to the Canterbury Museum Trust Board. The Canterbury Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand is entitled to one representative who will have to be appointed at the Annual Meeting.
It is expected that the 1949 Seventh Pacific Science Congress will be held in New Zealand, the first week being held at Auckland and the second week at Christchurch.
An invitation was received last year from the National Academy of Science and the American Philosophical Society for a member of the Royal Society of New Zealand to attend their Washington and Philadelphia meetings in October, 1946. Dr. R. S. Allan, who was nominated by this Branch, was chosen to represent the Society, and was absent in America until the early part of 1947.
Programme. Nine meetings were held during the year, three being ordinary meetings. The following addresses were given: March 5—“A Scientist in America,” Dr. R. S. Allan; April 2—“A Visit to the Ainu People of Northern Japan,” Dr. I. L. G. Sutherland (J. Polynesian Soc.); May 7—“Science in the Building Industry,” Mr. J. L. Mandeno; June 4—“Research in Relation to Consumer Needs” (Presidential Address), Mr. E. W. Hullett; July 2—“Food Research in New Zealand,” Dr. Muriel Bell; September 3—“Ultra High Speed Photography,” Dr. J. W. Mitchell; October 1—“Beech Forests,” Mr. C. M. Smith.
The following papers were read: August 6—“Methods of Quantitative Biological Surveys and a New Plankton Pump Apparatus,” C. R. Russell (J. Can. Bd. Fish); October 1—“Additions to the Rotatoria of New Zealand, Part 2,” C. R. Russell [read by title] (Trans. R.S.N.Z.); November 5—“Mutation Experiments in Wheat,” Dr. O. H. Frankel.
On March 26 a Special Meeting of the Society was held in conjunction with Canterbury University College to hear an address by Dr. R. B. Goldschmidt entitled “Only a Fly's Wing—a Study in Genetic Development.”
On August 6 Dr. R. A. Falla, who was one of the New Zealand delegates to the United Nations' Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization Conference at Paris, gave an address entitled “Unesco at Work.”
Riccarton Bush. The Committee, set up as a result of the public meeting called by this Society and the Canterbury Progress League in August, 1946, continued the work partially recorded in last Annual Report. It was decided, after investigation, to prepare a bold scheme and invite local bodies to join in financing not only the purchase of the adjacent Deans Homestead Block but also the adequate maintenance of both the new area and the original Bush. Eventually a satisfactory arrangement for spreading the cost over a wider area and for enlarging representation on the Board of Trustees was worked out, approved by the five local bodies concerned and presented as a Parliamentary Bill. This, after some vicissitudes between the two Houses, was recently passed.
While Mr. W. B. Brockie was at the Campbell Islands early this year. Mr. C. E. Foweraker again acted as the Society's representative on the Board, and Mr. J. W. Niven, City Treasurer, was appointed Secretary. On Mr. Brockie's appointment as Curator of the Otari Native Plant Museum, Wellington, Mr. L. W. McCaskill was elected as our representative.
Mr. McCaskill's annual report is as follows: “Maintenance of the Bush during the year has been carried out under conditions of considerable difficulty.
For long periods the surface of large areas was under water, while there has been an exceptional growth of weeds. The titoki trees which were damaged at the time of the big snow in 1945 are now all dead. The new growths from the base were all destroyed by frost and no further growths have appeared. Increasing numbers of visitors now come to the Bush, much of the increase being due to visits paid by students. Because of the serious damage being caused by the taking of large numbers of botanical specimens, it has been necessary to introduce certain restrictions on the taking of specimens by students of the Training College and by school pupils. With the passing of ‘The Riccarton Bush Amendment Act, 1947,’ the Board will be enlarged to nine and will, for the first time in its history, be assured of sufficient finance. It will be an important duty of your representative to ensure that a reasonable amount of the annual income is spent on maintaining and improving the main area of bush. I am sure that with the increased funds available it will be possible within a very short time, and without interfering with the existing plants, to have a complete cover of indigenous plants. I hope the Board will adopt a policy of planting only those species originally found in the Bush. In conclusion, I should like to pay a tribute to the Ranger, Mr. L. Armstrong, for his work in the Bush and for his courtesy to visitors.”
Field Club Section. The Field Club was reorganised in June. Nineteen members and associate members of the Society have been registered as members of the Club, and twelve sectional members have been elected by the Sectional Committee. Sectional members elected late in the year have been regarded as next year's members with subscriptions payable in 1948. The policy of the Committee has been to concentrate on field work, rather than evening meetings. The excursions have been well attended, particularly one to Lake Forsyth.
Social Science Section. During the year two joint meetings were held with the Society as a whole. These were addressed by Dr. I. L. G. Sutherland on “A Visit to the Ainu People of Northern Japan” and by Dr. R. A. Falla on “Unesco at Work.”
Otago Branch Of The Royal Society Of New Zealand
Annual Report for Session 1947
Membership. Members of the Branch now number 168, compared with 164 at the end of the 1946 session.
Representatives on Museum Committee. Mr. George Simpson and Mr. C. V. Dayus continued to represent the Branch on this Committee.
Representatives on Council of Royal Society of New Zealand. Dr. C. O. Hutton and Dr. H. D. Skinner.
Fellowship of Royal Society of New Zealand. Consideration was given by the Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand to your Council's recommendations regarding a more equitable distribution in future of Fellowships amongst the various sciences, but the suggestions put forward were not acceptable. However, your Council feels that, owing to the interest aroused by these recommendations, there may be a beneficial effect.
Honours. Sir Charles Hercus: The Society conveyed its congratulations to Sir Charles in the knighthood which was conferred on him earlier in the year. Sir Charles has in the past held office as President and Council Member, and has been responsible for initiating several important movements in the Branch, notably the course of junior lectures. Dr. C. O. Hutton: The Society extends to Dr. Hutton its congratulations on his appointment to the Chair of Petrology at Stanford University, U.S.A. Dr. Hutton's interest in science in New Zealand is well shown by the number and excellence of his published papers, and by his work as an office-bearer in this Society both here and in Wellington. His services are acknowledged with gratitude and the Society wishes him all success in his career in America. Dr. C. M. Focken was abroad during the earlier part of the year studying recent advances in Physics. He visited various institutions in England and Australia.
Departure of Younger Scientists from New Zealand. Your Council passed a resolution “that this meeting (the fifth) views with alarm the extent to which the Dominion is being deprived of the services of its younger scientists because
of the grossly inadequate salary position in relation to that of other countries.” This resolution was sent to the Prime Minister, the Chancellor of the University of New Zealand, the Secretary of the Public Service Commission, the President of the Royal Society of New Zealand, and the Minister of Scientific and Industrial Research, all of whom acknowledged receipt of it.
Adult Education. The report of a Special Committee of the Royal Society of New Zealand on this subject was considered by your Council. It was decided that some action should be taken on para. 8 of that report, which reads: “That the Royal Society recommend to its branches that each set up a special committee actively to aid and co-operate with local agencies in adult education, such as community centres, natural history clubs. (That Committee could, for example, find lecturers for such groups.)” To test the reaction of the public and to obtain definite information it was resolved to arrange for a popular scientific lecture to be given in each of the three districts around Dunedin, those suggested being Oamaru, Ranfurly, and Kaitangata, and on the basis of the interest shown in these, plan for next year. Owing to the difficulty in arranging lecturers, however, the plan has been delayed, but it is hoped to have it functioning in the near future.
The Waipoua Forest. The Branch was represented by Dr. W. R. B. Oliver in a deputation to the Government from the Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand, the Royal Society of New Zealand, and other bodies, which, asked that the Forest be declared a National Park under a special board of trustees for permanent preservation in its natural state. The Minister replied to the deputation that he was prepared to recommend the setting aside of 4,000 acres intact in the Forest, and that he would circularise all members of the Cabinet with notes of the deputation, so that a Cabinet decision could be made. Dr. Oliver reported that, in his opinion, the matter should not be allowed to rest there; efforts should be made on a larger scale to impress on the Government the necessity of saving the whole Forest intact.
Broadcast, “How Things Began.” After the suspension of these broadcasts on direction from the Minister of Broadcasting, the Wellington Branch sent a letter to the Minister stating that in its opinion the broadcast presented proved facts in such a manner as to arouse interest in children in scientific matters, and strongly recommended that the broadcasts be resumed at an early date. The Wellington Branch asked for our support, which was given in a letter to the Minister. The Hon. Mr. Jones wrote assuring this Branch that full consideration would be given to its letter when the future of the series “How Things Began” was being decided.
Coat of Aerial Photographs.—Dr. Archey wrote on behalf of the Auckland Branch to enlist this Branch's support in an attempt to have the cost of aerial photographs reduced. Your Council addressed the Minister of Lands, who replied, however, that he was unable to authorise any reduction, because of the high initial cost of taking the photographs.
Hamilton Prize. This was awarded by the Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand to Miss E. J. Batham, M.Sc.
Secretary. Mr. Gordon Anderson left Dunedin to take up a new appointment in Wellington in July, and Mr. J. B. Mackie was elected Honorary Secretary in his place until the end of the 1947 session.
Conversazione. The Annual Conversazione in conjunction with the Association of Friends of the Museum was held on Wednesday, October 22. It was again a highly successful function, there being a record attendance. A new feature on the programme was a mannequin parade by members of the Museum and University Library staffs displaying some of the gowns from the Museum series (1820–1900).
Main Branch Meetings. April 15—Presidential Address (Dr. H. D. Skinner), “The Material Culture of the Maoris of Murihiku”; May 6—Dr. C. MeC. Brooks, “Appetite and Obesity”; June 10—Mr. A. G. Elliott, “Developments in Otago Farming”; July 8—Mr. H. Muir, “Recent Advances in Secondary Metallurgy”; August 12—Dr. R. A. Falla, “Unesco Plans for the Future”; September 9—Mr. J. T. Holloway, “The Work of the New Zealand National Forest Survey”; October 14—Dr. L. F. Story. “Unshrinkable Wool.”
Original Papers. Miss Beryl I. Brewin, M.Sc., “Ascidians from the Hauraki Gulf, Part I”; W. B. Benham, K.B.E., F.R.S., “Studies on Earthworms, XLIII. A Yard-long Earthworm, Notoscolex hakeaphilus”; Miss Margaret K. Finlayson, M.Sc., and N. L. Edson, Ph.D., B. Med. Sc., M.B.Ch.B., F.N.Z.I.C., “The Cataclase Activity of Mycobacteria”; W. Martin, B.Sc., “The Distribution of the Mosses Indigenous to New Zealand”; Prof. Herzog, Jena University, “Description of New Species of New Zealand Hepaties”; K. W. Allison, “Description of a New Species with Notes and Localities for some Otago and Southland Mosses.”
Junior Lectures. The attendance this year has improved, the average being 94. Organiser, Dr. Basil Howard. June 6—W. G. McClymont, M.A., Official Archivist 2 N.Z.E.F., “Wanderings in Post-war Greece”; June 20—W. V. Heazlewood, M.Sc., Assistant Lecturer, Chemistry Department, “Catalysis”—Demonstrations and Experiments”; July 4—Film Evening; July 18—Microscope Demonstration by the Microscope Section of the Society; August 1—Dr. J. L. Malcolm, B. Med. Sc., Lecturer in Experimental Physiology, University, “The Electricity in Your Body,” with practical experiments and demonstrations; August 15–B. J. Garnier, M.A., Lecturer in Geography, University, “How to Use Your Eyes.”
Astronomical Section. During the year three general and three Committee meetings were held. There were some 370 visitors to the Observatory. In August the Observatory Director provided the address in the “Night Sky” series of talks broadcast from the main national stations throughout the winter months. All equipment has been kept in good working order, and it is pleasing to note that there has been an absence of vandalism this year.
The Section records with regret the death of Sir Louis Barnett, who passed away towards the end of last year. Sir Louis took a keen interest in Astronomy and the activities of the Society. It was he who provided the funds for the purchase of the planetarium which has proved such a valuable instrument for demonstrating the structure and phenomena of the solar system.
The roll stands at 50 full members and 21 associate members.
Microscopical Section. Owing to the loss of the Secretary by transfer to Wellington early in the year, and also to the greater urgency of other matters on the time of the members of the Committee, the activity of the Section was this year again much reduced. Three meetings were held. The library and apparatus belonging to the Section have now been removed from the Medical School to the residence of the Chairman, from whom borrowings may be made. The Section is suffering a further loss of an active member by the departure of Mr. Peryman to Leeds University for the purpose of furthering his studies in Wool Research.
Scientific Methodology Section. Three meetings were held during the winter term. The speakers were Mr. J. Harris, Mr. A. Lind, and Dr. B. Monheimer. The attendance at the meetings has been small, but those who have attended have found the addresses and discussions most profitable.
Historical Section. No meetings were held.
H. D. Skinner, President.
Nelson Philosophical Society
Annual Report for Year Ended 30th September, 1947
Membership. The present membership of the Society is 36 members and 16 associate members, as compared with 38 and 21 respectively for 1946.
Meetings. Seven meetings were held during the 1946–47 season with an average attendance of 37. 21st October, 1946–Sir Walter Scott, “Peoples of the Soviet Republics”; 18th November—Sir Thomas Easterfield, “Thomas Cawthron and His Ancestors”; 26th May, 1947—Mr. C. I. Kidson, B.E., A.M.I.C.E., Presidential Address, “Engineering Method, Progress and Limitations”; 16th June—Sir Theodore Rigg, “Developments in British Science” (combined with Nelson Branch of New Zealand Institution of Engineers); 21st July—Mr. E. J. D. Hercus, M.A., B.Sc., “Impression of South America”; 25th August—Mr. W. F. B. L. Hendricks, “Indonesia”; 15th September—Mr. Alfred Dixon, “The History and Influence of the Violin.”
Science Conferences. A member of the Society, Sir Theodore Rigg, represented the Royal Society of New Zealand at 1946 Empire Science Congress in England and again at the 1947 meeting of the Australasian Association for the Advancement
of Science at Perth, Western Australia. Several members attended the 1947 New Zealand Science Congress at Wellington.
Sir Theodore Rigg. The University of Western Australia conferred upon Sir Theodore Rigg the honorary degree of Doctor of Science. The Society's hearty congratulations go to Sir Theodore.
Hawke's Bay Branch of the Royal Society of new Zealand
Annual Report for the Year ended 31st December, 1947
Meetings. 25th March—Annual Meeting, Mr. N. L. Elder, F.R.G.S., on “The Kaimanawa Range”; 28th and 29th May—Film Evenings in Hastings and Napier; 24th June—Mr. J. S. Peel on “Growth-regulating Substances”; 2nd July—Film Evening in Havelock North; 7th October—Mr. R. H. Carter, of the Forest and Bird Protection Society; 27th November—Dr. C. D. Costello on “The Planets.” This meeting was arranged by the Astronomical Section.
Sections.—The Astronomical, Ornithological, and Photographic Sections have had an active and successful year. The Hawke's Bay Historical Society has resumed its activities, and has amalgamated with this Society as the Hastings Historical Section. There is a move to form a Napier Historical Section. There is also the prospect of the formation of a Geological Section in Hastings.
Library. Dr. C. D. Costello and his helpers completed the task of listing the books in the library. A new agreement is being negotiated with the Napier Borough Council. The Society's library will be housed with the Public Library Reference Library, and will be in the charge and under the care of the Librarian. The Library has been catalogued on the Dewey Decimal System.
Projector. A sum of £43 was collected by Mr. H. W. Malden towards the Projector Fund. This fund now stands at £90 9s Id. Attendances at the film evenings were disappointing, and the evenings were abandoned in the middle of the year.
Membership. In an attempt to increase the membership a pamphlet was issued early in the year setting out the objects and organisation of the Society. The response to this was below expectation, but the membership has increased by 16 during the year. It now stands at 127, made up of 117 ordinary members, 3 life members, 2 honorary life members, 3 corporate members, 2 junior members.
Papers. “New Zealand Hepaticae (Liverworts). VI. A Review of the New Zealand Species of the Genus Frullania,” by Mrs. E. Amy Hodgson. “Additions to the Marine Algae of New Zealand. Phaeophyciae, Fam. Dictyotaceae, Dictyotales, Dictyota Lmx.,” by V. W. Lindauer. The papers were read by title and forwarded to the Royal Society for Publication.
Colenso Herbarium. The major part of the Colenso herbarium has been a deposit with the Dominion Museum for a number of years. Some small part of it has been housed in the Hawke's Bay Museum and Art Gallery. The whole collection has now been offered for sale to the Dominion Musecum.
J. D. H. Buchanan, President.
Southland Branch of the Royal Society of new Zealand
Annual Report for the Year ended 31st March, 1948
Membership. The year began with a membership of 43 and ended with 47.
Attendances. Attendances at meetings were well maintained during the year, the average attendance being 31, with the lowest number at 20 and the highest at 67.
Lectures. The following is a list of the lectures given during the year: 1st May—Presidential Address, Mr. R. W. Willett, “Oil”; 26th June—Mr. H. W. Smith, “Soil Conservation”; 10th July—Dr. E. Marsden, “Atomics”; 20th August—Mr. O. H. Keys. “Science in the Service of the Law”; 17th September—Dr. Williams, “Prospecting in the Crown Colonies”; 23rd October—Dr. Allen, “Problems in Epidemiology.” For the November meeting a film evening was arranged, the following films being shown: “Coal,” “Weather,” “Microscopic Water Life,” and “The Story of D.D.T.”
R. W. Willett, President
A. D. Nisbet, Secretary.