Royal N.Z. Institute of Horticulture
Report of Representative
During the past year the following District Councils were established: Taihape, Waikato (at Hamilton), South Taranaki (at Hawera), Hawke's Bay (at Napier), and Lower Hutt and Eastern Bays (at Lower Hutt). The annual conference held at Auckland, 25th January, 1949, was opened by the Minister of Agriculture, Hon. E. L. L. Cullen. The Banks Lecture was delivered by Mr. J. A. McPherson, his subject being “Some Plant Introductions in the Auckland District.” The membership of the Institute in January, 1949, was over 2,000 (in September, 1946, it was 374).
The Auckland Council has been very active, in conjunction with other bodies, in endeavouring to preserve various important areas of native forest,
including Waipoua, Kirk's Bush, and a pohutukawa forest at Ninety Mile Beach, and in pressing for a more extensive campaign against the European wasp.
W. R. B. Oliver,
Representative of the R.S.N.Z. on the Council
of the R.N.Z. Institute of Horticulture.
On the motion of Dr. Oliver, the report presented by him as representative of the Society on the Council of the Royal N.Z. Institute of Horticulture was adopted.