Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Volume 79, 1951
– xxiii –

Tongariro National Park Board

Report of Representative on the Board

The Board met in October, 1948, and a meeting of the Management was held in March.

Mr. T. Shout has been appointed Warden of the Tongariro National Park.

The appointment of a ranger and caretaker has been deferred until accommodation has been arranged.

Six new huts have been approved for erection in the Park as follows: Alpine Sports Club and Taihape Alpine Club; Hutt Valley Tramping Club, Tongariro Ski Club, Tararua Tramping Club, and Ruapehu Ski Club (second hut). The proposals for the huts and buildings are in future to be forwarded through the Federated Mountain Clubs with their approval.

The destruction of broom on the Park has been continued. The road to the Ohakune Hut has been improved. The erection of a memorial to Tukino Te Heu Heu is under consideration.

The late eruption of Mount Ngauruhoe has not done any damage to the Park.

P. Marshall

, Representative on the Board.

On the motion of Mr. Pycroft, the report of the representative on the Tongariro National Park Board, Dr. P. Marshall, was adopted.

A letter from the Auckland Branch of the Forest and Bird Protection Society regarding a motor road through the bush at Ohakune was referred to the Standing Committee.