Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa
Volume 79, 1951
– lxviii –

Otago Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand.
Annual Report for Session 1949.

Membership. The total Branch membership is now 165. Membership over the past 10 years is given below for the sake of comparison:

Year: 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949
Membership: 178 173 160 150 153 158 164 168 167 165

Representatives on the Museum Committee. For another Session Messrs. George Simpson and C. V. Dayus have continued to give their services in this capacity.

Representatives on the Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand. Miss Marion Fyfe and Dr. C. M. Focken.

Fellowship of the Royal Society of New Zealand. Of the four Fellows elected this year, two are members of this branch, Mr. George Simpson and

– lxix –

Professor F. G. Soper. The congratulations of the Branch go to these two gentlemen whose signal work in the cause of science have earned them this recognition.

Pre-Sessional Meetings. The opportunity of hearing lectures by distinguished visitors to this country was taken in three pre-sessional meetings held in March. Dr. R. A. Silow, plant geneticist, Dr. Anton Bruun, zoologist, and Mr. Harold Mattingly, formerly Assistant Keeper of Coins and Medals at the British Museum, all delivered addresses of great interest; members of the Branch enjoyed meeting and talking to these gentlemen.

Main Branch Meetings. March 14, Dr. R. A. Silow, “The Evolution and Domestication of a Crop Plant”; March 22, Dr. Anton Brunn, “Danish Marine Expedition, with an Account of Animals of the Ocean Deeps”; March 25, Mr. Harold Mattingly, M.A., “Some Aspects of Life in Ancient Rome” (Joint Meeting with Historical Section); April 12, Presidential Address (Dr. Basil Howard), “X Marks the Spot”; May 3, Dr. C. M. Focken, Dr. N. L. Edson, Mr. T. H. Kennedy, M.Sc. Mr. H. Muir, B.Met.E.: A Symposium, “Tagged Atoms (Radio-Isotopes)” (Joint Meeting with Otago Branch, New Zealand Institute of Chemistry); June 14, Dr. G. H. Satchell, “The Biology of Sewage Purification”; July 12, Mr. R. Greenwood, M.A., F.R.G.S., “Our Topsy-Turvy World”; August 16, “Stewart Island Expedition” (Dr. Howard, Dr. Williams, and Mr. W. Martin); September 26, Dr. H. Bernadelli, “Mix-up in Society”; October 11, Dr. C. E. Tilley, F.R.S., President of the Geological Society of London, “Recent Advances in the Geology of the Scottish Highlands”; November 11, Annual General Meeting followed by G. N. Davies, D.D.S., “A Report on the Dental State of Native Fijians.”

Junior Lectures. Five lectures during the winter term. Average attendance 42. There is some doubt whether these should be continued. Two schools have asked that there be a further trial for one year. June 10, Prof. B. J. Marples, M.A., M.Sc, “Spiders”; June 24, Mr. A. D. Campbell, M.Sc., “Dyes and Dyeing”; July 8, Dr. H. Bernadelli, “Mix-up in Society”; July 22, Microscope Demonstrations by the Microscope Section of the Branch; August 5, Mr. B. J. Garnier, M.A., “Your Eyes and How to Use Them.”

Historical Section. After being inactive since 1940 the Section was revived at a meeting called on August 4, 1948, by a group of the University staff. Four meetings were held during the year, including a joint meeting with the Otago Branch of the Royal Society addressed by Dr. Morrell, a lecture by Professor J. Rutherford of Auckland University College, and a discussion on history teaching in conjunction with the annual conference of Otago and Southland Secondary School teachers. At the end of the year the membership of the Section had reached 40, including 11 full members of the Royal Society and 10 student members.

The programme for the 1949 session comprised 8 meetings, including a joint meeting with the Otago Branch of the New Zealand Geographical Society, with which the Section also exchanged invitations to further meetings. Thirty-four new members joined, including 23 student members, making a total of 74 for the financial year 1948–49, but, owing largely to the annual turnover of senior students, attendances have merely been maintained at about the 50 mark.