Reports of Member Bodies
Auckland Institute And Museum
Annual Report for the Year ended March 31, 1960
The Institute. Building activities interrupted the customary Institute functions and services to members. Nevertheless, as Miss Evans mentions, 1,050 people used the library; we were also able to arrange two lectures—i.e., “The Heart-Lung Machine,” by Mr. Brian Barratt-Boyes (British Medical Association Lecture) and the “Age of Rangitoto,” by Dr. R. N. Brothers and Mr. J. Golson.
Over five hundred attended a members' evening in November, when planetarium sessions were held, cinema films screened and a musical programme offered. Another evening was held on April 11 to enable members to visit the Second War Hall of Memories and the new museum halls.
Anthropology and Maori Race Section. Interest in the Section was maintained during the year, the meetings being well attended with many animated discussions taking place during question time. The Field Day this year was around the volcanic cones and Maori pa of the Southern Auckland Isthmus. A special bus seating 44 was filled to capacity, while many private cars also made the trip. Mr. V. F. Fisher recounted the Maori history and traditions connected with the cones, while Mr. J. Golson spoke on their significance to the Maori and described the layout of their fortifications. Without a doubt, it was due to their able leadership that the trip proved both interesting and informative.
Lectures and papers presented were: Professor R. Piddington, “My Visit to French Canada”, Mr. S. Brooker and Dr. R. Cooper, “Medical Plants Reputed to Have Been Used by the Maori”; Dr. Murray Groves, “Music, Ritual and Social Life Among a Melanesian People”; Mr. Sinclair and Mr. J. Waititi, “Prison Education—Pakeha and Maori”; Mr. Hugh Kawharu, “Maori Land Tenure of the 19th Century”; Dr. J. B. W. Robertson, of Kawhia, “The Significance of New Zealand Tribal Tradition”, and University of Auckland Students' Papers.
At the Annual Meeting on November 25, 1959, the following were elected officers of the Section for the ensuing year: Patron, Dr. Spoehr, Director of the Bishop Museum, Honolulu; Chairman, Mr. John Waititi; Hon. Secretary and Treasurer, Mr. J. T. Diamond; Committee, Professor R. Piddington, Dr. B. Biggs, Miss I. Hamilton, Messrs. R. Bulmer, V. F. Fisher, J. Golson, E. Grimes and R. Scobie. The membership of the Section is 85.
Astronomical Section. The Society was happy to welcome the official opening of the Planetarium, the gift of the Farmers' Trading Company, and many members have attended sessions. The greatest benefit, however, is the potential one of making the rising generation space minded and perhaps influencing some to undertake scientific careers.
The officers for 1960–61 are: President, Mr. K. D. Adams, F.R.A.S.; Vice-President, Mr. J. Greager; Hon. Secretary, Mr. L. R. H. Beaumont, B.A., F.R.A.S.; Hon. Treasurer, Mr. G. R. Green; Curator of Instruments, Mr. B. D. Smith.
Conchology Section. This section reports well attended monthly meetings, especially since the new club room attached to Dr. Powell's new premises became available last December.
Four meetings have been held in the new room and as a direct result of the greatly improved facilities, much larger attendances, an average of fifty, have been noted.
The section membership stands at 130, which includes associates throughout New Zealand. A pleasing note is the increase in junior membership.
The new club room is self contained, with facilities for staging small exhibitions, provision for supper, and ready reference to the club's collections and library. The club provided the seating accommodation and a further 18 chairs are on order.
Bulletin No. 15, containing nine original papers by members was published in December. It is illustrated with three full page half-tone plates. The monthly News Letter compiled by the secretary was distributed as usual.
The President of the section is Mr. A. K. Hipkins and the secretary Mrs. L. Seager.
Nautical Section. The Auckland Maritime Society, which is also the Nautical Section of the Institute and Museum, is now in its second year of operation, and with a membership of approximately 120 has embarked on a series of interesting projects. Apart from the regular monthly meetings which have been very well attended, several groups have been engaged in research work on the early shipping around the New Zealand coast. Activities planned for the immediate financial year include a “Farewell Monowai Evening” to be held on board this historic vessel, and an evening exhibition when members will have the opportunity of making individual displays from their own collections. Officers elected at the recent annual
meeting were: Chairman, Mr. R. E. Combes; Hon. Treasurer, Mr. E. D. Bevan; Hon. Secretary, Mr. A. A. Kirk; Committee—Mrs. S. W. Bond, Messrs. C. W. Hawkins, B. Hart and R. Ross; Hon. Auditor, Mr. Gatt.
Second War Memorial and Museum Extension. Planning and preparation for the occupation and arranging of the new halls and administrative accommodation have been our chief concern during the year.
The time of waiting until entry could be expected was occupied in making many store cabinets and cupboards, either complete or in sections, and in organising the collections for transfer, while a few of the very large display cases were transferred to near their destined places. Members of the staff entered willingly on the task of preparation for an opening day much earlier than had been anticipated, and I wish to acknowledge their understanding of the endeavour this would entail and their sustained efforts in achieving it, both in the extensive new displays and in respect to the transfers and rearrangements that would be necessary. It should, of course, be understood that our responsibility was that of the Museum alone, for the dignity and warmth of the Hall of Memory and the South African and New Zealand war memorials we have to thank and congratulate the architects for the building, Mr. M. K. Draffin, M. C., and Mr. R. F. Draffin.
It would have been impossible to instal displays in all the new halls; we therefore concentrated on: (a) moving the Library, under Miss Evans' direction, from the First War Memorial areas to the new building and setting it in order on the newly erected shelving; (b) clearing the former War Trophy Hall, transferring all its show cases and setting out the Spitfire and other large objects as the first hall of the new Armed Services' Museum; (c) arranging two new Services' Museum halls, one with an extensive armoury of small arms, automatic weapons and artillery, also with ship models, the other with small and large exhibits, including a Japanese Zero fighter and a German aircraft torpedo; (d) clearing the hall of New Zealand Geology of its congested store of zoological and botanical collections, and restoring it, together with three other first-floor halls, to public access. This included moving eight large natural history displays, and re-siting them to close the entrances of halls not yet being brought into use; (e) setting up the new hall of Oceanic Navigation, with its canoes large and small, dug-out and plank-built, and with its mural map, beach sand and foliage background, a joint undertaking with the mural and other art work by Mrs. Brookes.
As part of these arrangements it was necessary to establish zoology, botany and part of ethnology in the new study-store rooms, involving (a) the clearing of many large old-style cabinets, dismantling them and making from the material new smaller cabinets (Dr. Powell's chosen task); (b) the making of many new herbarium cabinets and bookshelves (Dr. Cooper); (c) the transfer by floor and block and tackle of really large display cases (Mr. Stewart and Mr. McGuiness); and, generally, unpacking, moving, setting up, painting, fitting and adjusting by everyone.
The result is that at present we have—Top Floor: A 3-hall Armed Services' Museum connecting the First War and the Second War Halls of Memory; a re-established library of 30,000 books, 3,000 sets of periodicals, collections of manuscripts, maps, and photographs; an Assembly Hall (old library). First Floor: Four natural history halls restored to access with considerable rearrangement. Ground Floor: Some rearrangement of Maori and Oceanic Arts and Customs and a new Hall of Oceanic Navigation.
The arrangement of the Armed Services' Museum was shared by Commander Haynes, Captain Thompson, Mrs. Brookes, Mr. Bayliss and myself; we also had welcome assistance from Sir Frank Mappin, Mr. Holgate and Mr. Ecroyd. The Services gave outstanding help and co-operation. The Spitfire and Zeke were dismantled, hoisted with considerable difficulty, and re-assembled by Air Force detachments fhom Whenuapai and Hobsonville who also set up the German V-1 bomb. The German aircraft torpedo and several machine guns were taken over by the Navy and returned cleaned and painted, while a seventeenth century suit of armour was also given expert attention; the Army, besides having already given the greater part of our enemy artillery and machine guns, added several of our own weapons, including a 1914–18 field gun and howitzer “limber-gunnered” to perfection. The Navy also presented an Oerkon rapid-fire anti-aircraft gun.
We were also assisted by the War Memorial Committee authorising the employment of three carpenters. The cost borne by the Museum for all these preparations is referred to in the President's report.
Throughout these moves and re-arrangements the greater part of the museum was kept open for visitors and the customary museum activities continued (the school service, extension service, planetarium and outside lectures).
Now that the opening day is past an extensive programme is before us in restoring to public access the halls not yet freed from storage and in designing and carrying out new installations. By Christmas we expect to have the temporary store-rooms all eliminated from
the Maori Court and Maori Hall East, thereby giving direct and broader access to the new cast entrance and the hall of oceanic navigation; we hope also to have cleared the ethnographical collections at present stored in the New Zealand Bird Hall.
At the same time we must plan and design the installations for four new display halls: (i) Oceanic arts and crafts; (ii) Oceanography; (iii) Birds; and (iv) Insects and small invertebrates, each of which will take eighteen months or more. We shall also have to reorganise the ground floor front halls as halls of the civilisations and of general ethnology; to establish a hall of the domestic arts of Britain (furniture, pottery, silver, etc.), a maritime museum and an aeronautical display on the first floor.
Research. Although the opportunity for study has been very limited we have been able to send a further number of the Museum Records to the printers. It includes papers by Dr. Powell, “Catalogue of Antarctic and Sub-Antarctic Mollusca”; Dr. D. Squires (New York) “Corals from a deep-sea cable off Norfolk Island”; and Dr. Archey “Pare: the carved door lintel”. A new handbook is also in the press, “New Zealand Medicinal Plants” by Mr. Brooker and Dr. Cooper.
Additions to the Museum. The extension and enrichment of the collections is fundamental to all aspects of museum activity, and it is very satisfactory to be able to record the continuing support of visitors and friends of the Museum in this field. The list of accessions is printed on later pages; here we have space to mention only a few, such as the unusual river canoe stern-post from Doubtless Bay discovered by the donor, Mr. T. Wallace, a charming eighteenth century north country spinning wheel given by Miss Lina Vosper Bruce, a New Hall cup and saucer and a wine-glass cooler, the gift of Mr. Mervyn Hynes, and a silver patchbox engraved with a Jacobite emblem presented by Dr. J. A. Clinch. Two early musical instruments are a clarinet, given by Mr. E. R. Eady, and a flute, from Mr. S. C. Lewis; while a Georgian Irish silver tea pot is the gift of Mr. M. E. Richardson. Other accessions are mentioned in the several departmental reports.
Wellington Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand
Annual Report for the Year ended September 30, 1959
General Meetings. The following meetings were held: October 22, Annual General Meeting, 1958, followed by films; April 7, special joint meeting with the New Zealand Institution of Engineers, addressed by Sir Leonard Owen, of the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, on recent developments in this field; April 22, “New Zealand Plankton Studies”, by Mr. and Mrs. R. M. Cassie; May 19, Presidential Address to the Royal Society of New Zealand, “The Role of the Royal Society in New Zealand”, by Professor R. S. Allan; June 24, “Science and Gamesmanship”, by I. D. Dick; July 22, the eleventh Hudson Lecture, “The Past and Future Role of the University in Research in New Zealand”, by Dr. C. D. Ellyett; August 26, “The Role of Mathematics in the Economy”, by Dr. R. M. Williams; September 23, Branch Presidential address, “Ferdinand von Hochstetter”, by R. W. Willett.
In addition, members of the Branch were invited to attend a joint meeting in February of the New Zealand Institution of Engineers and the Royal Aeronautical Society to hear an address by Sir A. H. Roy Fedden, “Commonwealth Aeronautics—Where Are We Heading?”
Attendances ranged from just under 30 to 60, with an average of 42.
Astronomy and Geophysics Section. October: Annual General Meeting, followed by “Journey to Samarkand the Travels of a Geophysicist in the Soviet Union”, by Dr. E. I. Robertson; April, “Plastic Flow in the Earth's Crust”, by Dr. F. F. Evison; May, “Some Results of the I.G.Y. Antarctic Expeditions”, by Dr. T. Hatherton; June, “The Solar Eclipse of 1958”, by I. L. Thomsen; July, “The Movement of Underground Waters in the Wairakei Thermal Area”— a symposium, by F. E. Studt, A. E. Bainbridge, Dr. A. J. Ellis, and others (joint meeting with Physics Section), “Stellar Populations”, by I. L. Thomsen, August, “Variations in Latitude”, by G. A. Eiby, September, “Water Vapour Transfer in the Atmosphere”, by J. W. Hutchings Attendances varied from 13 to 41, with an average of 24.
Biology Section October: Annual General Meeting, followed by “Notornis: a Study of a Vanishing Species”, by G. R. Williams, April, “Fauna Conservation in New Zealand”, by F. L. Newcombe, May, “United States National Park Systems”, by Dr. J. T. Salmon; June, “Molecular Patterns in Pesticides”, by H. W. Johnston; July, “Botanical Collecting in Southern Chile”, by E. J. Godley, a joint meeting with the Dominion Museum, to which the public were invited; August, “Recent Biological Work in Antarctica”, a symposium, by Dr. R. K. Dell, G. Caughley and J. S. Bullivant; September, “Tits, Trees, and Insects: the Influence of Good Supply on the Population Density of Birds in European and New Zealand Pine Forests” by Dr. J. A. Gibb.
Attendance averaged 29, which is slightly better than last year, but was influenced by the July figure.
Geology Section. October, Annual General Meeting, followed by “The Structure or New Zealand”, by Dr. J. T. Kingma; April, “This Summer's Fieldwork” an impromptu symposium, May, “Ecological Significance of Fossil Coral Reefs”, by Dr. D. Squires; June, “Aspects of Continental Drift: Historical to Modern Evidence from Paleomagnetic Research”, a symposium convened by J. Bradley and F. Studt; July, “The Geology of Rotorua-Taupo Graben”, by G. W. Grindley; August, “The Sequence of Molluscan and Brachiopod Life in New Zealand”, a symposium convened by Dr. J. B. Waterhouse; September, “Environments of Banded Sediments”, a symposium convened by N. de B. Hornibrook.
The average attendance of 34 was considered very satisfactory. A suggestion that the meeting day be changed to Monday was followed for four months from June, but was not found convenient. Following a poll of members, meetings will again be held on the second Thursday of the month from October.
Physics Section. October, Annual General Meeting, followed by “Thinking in Physics”, by W. H. Ward; May, “The Electron Microscope and Cell Structure”, by W. S. Bertaud; June, “A Review of Recent Advances in Research on Nuclear Fusion”, by Professor D. Walker; August, “The Van de Graff Accelerator and. Its Place in Modern Research”, by Professor E. R. Collins; September, Visit to the Institute of Nuclear Science, Gracefield, Lower Hutt.
Attendances varied from 12 to 40, with an average of 24. To avoid clashes with other societies, the night of the section meeting was changed from the first Wednesday to the first Tuesday in the month.
Social Science Section. October, Annual General Meeting, followed by “Integration of New Settlers”, by E. J. L. Fairway; the programme for 1959 was arranged under the main theme of “Implications of an Expanding Society”, as follows—April, “Some General Observations”, by Dr. E. G. Jacoby; June, “Population Pressures in a Rural Maori Community”, by J. R. McCreary; July, “An Expanding Society and the Public Service”, by R. J. Polaschek; September, “Implications of Expanding Society in Housing, Public Buildings and Town Planning”, by F. H. Newman, B. J. Beere and A. L. Gabites; August, by invitation of the British Psychological Society members attended a joint meeting, “Mental Abnormality and the Law”, by Dr. K. R. Stallworthy; May meeting, which clashed with Professor Allan's Presidential Address, was cancelled.
Technology Section. October, Annual General Meeting, followed by “The Uses of Industrial Paints for Different Purposes”, by W. E. Childs; April, “Fuel Efficiency and the Clear Air Act, Great Britain”, by R. T. Douglas; May, visit to the Electrolux factory at Kilburnie, with addresses on “Modern Techniques in Electroplating”, by G. Leslie, and “Reticulation of Electrics”, by A. Butcher; June, “Coal Utilisation in New Zealand”, by C. H. Benny. August, visit to Swift's Freezing Works, Ngauranga, with an address on “The Workings of a Freezing Works”, by H. W. Wooller; September, Films on Russian Whaling in Antarctica, and Whaling in Cook Strait, with an address on “The Habits of Whales”, by Dr. R. A. Falla.
Attendances varied from 27 to 90, with an average of 48. The Committee records its commendation of the work done by the Secretary during the year; also its appreciation of the hospitality of the firms who were hosts to the section on two occasions.
The institution of supper, with its additional opportunities for informal discussion, has been very popular, and collections have covered expenses.
Honours and Awards. In the New Year Honours List, Dr. I. J. Cunningham, Director of the Animal Research Station at Wallaceville from 1945 to 1958, and at present Assistant Director-General of the Department of Agriculture, was made a Commander of the British Empire—C.B.E. In the same list. Dr. F. B. Shorland, Director of the Fats Research Laboratory, received the O.B.E.
In the Queen's Birthday Honours List, three members of the Branch were honoured. Sir Charles Cotton was made a Knight of the British Empire (K.B.E.). Dr. R. A. Falla, Director of the Dominion Museum, became a Companion of St. Michael and St. George (C.M.G.). Miss Lucy Moore, last year's President of the Wellington Branch, received the M.B.E.
Professor L. R. Richardson was elected a Fellow of the Roval Society of New Zealand at the meeting of Council in May, 1959; he also received the Hutton Medal for deep-sea research in the Cook Strait area.
Professor H. Barraclough Fell was awarded the Hector Medal and Prize for research on the embryology and systematics of echinoderms. Both these presentations were made at the August meeting of the Wellington Branch by the President of the Royal Society of New Zealand, Professor R. S. Allan.
Mr. G. R. Stevens was awarded the Hamilton Prize.
The Hudson Lecture. The eleventh Hudson Lecture was delivered by Dr. C. D. Ellyett. President of the Canterbury Branch, when he addressed an audience of 60 on “The Past and
Future Role of the University in Research in New Zealand.” The questions and discussion which followed his lecture demonstrated fully the interest he had aroused. The full text will be printed in the Proceedings of the Society.
As recommended by the last Annual General Meeting, Council in April considered the rules under which the Hudson Lecture is established. Some changes were made, perhaps the most important being that the speaker should in future receive his travelling expenses as well as an honorarium. To make the Lecture Fund more nearly self-supporting, again as recommended by the Annual General Meeting, an appeal for donations to the Capital Fund was circulated to members. The response was very satisfactory financially, £92 being received; it was equally satisfactory to see that the list of donors included representatives of every kind of member, from newly graduated to retired, professional and amateur, and workers in every discipline.
To this sum of £92, Council allocated £8 from current income, bringing the Capital Fund up to £150. At this point, Mrs. Stella Gibbs, of Eastbourne, daughter of the late G. V. Hudson, presented a cheque for a further £150, thus making the total £300. Mrs. Gibbs's only stipulation was that the name “the Hudson Lecture” should be retained to perpetuate her father's memory, a decision already taken by Council. The announcement of this generous gift was received with warm applause at the September meeting, and the donor may be assured of members' appreciation of her generosity.
This extra capital has already been invested, and the fund will now have an annual income of approximately £15, which will go far to covering the costs of the Lecture.
Change of Rules. The Royal Society of New Zealand has this year adopted a new rule requiring affiliated bodies to provide in their rules for a category or categories of members who shall be “subscribing members of the Royal Society of New Zealand” (see Branch representatives' report under “Royal Society of New Zealand”). A Special General Meeting was therefore held on June 24, at which amendments were made to Rule 4 (Membership), which is given below in full in its amended form:
“Rule 4—Members shall be of three classes: (a) Ordinary members, who shall be entitled to receive the Transactions of the Royal Society of New Zealand. (b) Associate members, who shall be members of a section (see Rule 29) and not entitled to the receipt of the above-mentioned Transactions. (c) Honorary members.
“Ordinary and Honorary members shall be considered subscribing members of the Royal Society of New Zealand in terms of Rule A (4) of the Royal Society of New Zealand. The Society shall pay to the Royal Society of New Zealand all sums due in accordance with the said rule, these sums shall constitute part of any payment made in accordance with Rule 25 of this Society.”
The “sums due” for subscribing members has been fixed for the present at 5s per member. Since the Branch already contributes one-sixth of its revenue from annual subscriptions to the Royal Society of New Zealand under Rule 25 cited above, this should in a normal year make no difference to our commitments in this respect. Care will have to be taken that the subscription rates are brought into line if the levy should be raised; also that members are kept up to date in the payment of their subscriptions.
Library. Subscriptions to periodicals have been maintained and a start has been made with arrears of binding. If funds allow, it is hoped to bring this up to date during 1960.
The work of cataloguing authorized by the previous Council was done in November, 1958, and a card-index cabinet was purchased and is now in use.
Science Congress, 1960. The Ninth Science Congress of the Royal Society of New Zealand will be held in Wellington in May, 1960. Organization has been undertaken by the Wellington Branch, and an organising committee under the chairmanship of the President (R. W. Willett), and including representatives of the participating bodies, held its first meeting in July. Joint honorary secretaries are R. E. R. Grimmett, of Soil Bureau, and Dr. J. W. Dawson, of Victoria University of Wellington, honorary treasurer, Mrs. R. M. Allen. A circular containing details of the officials and the organisation of sections will be distributed shortly.
Financial. The accounts submitted show that the receipts just failed to cover payments for the year ended September 30, 1959.
Receipts from subscriptions show a substantial increase from £534 in 1958 to £659 in the present year. This figure includes £145 for subscriptions outstanding at September 30, 1958. At the same time, this year we have only £79 10s on the books, the list contains 39 names (28 ordinary and 11 associate members).
Total disbursements show an increase from £624 last year to £679 in this year. Payment for Transactions and the one-sixth contribution to the Royal Society of New Zealand are necessarily higher, grouping “meetings” and “general” expenses together in the two years for comparison shows a total of £276 for 1958 against £280 for this year. This is disappointing, as every effort has been made to keep expenses down this year. There has been extra
printing in renewing stocks of receipt books, account forms, and letterheads, approximately £20, and special printing for the Hudson Lecture Appeal, £9; there is also an extra £10 10s in honoraria.
The balance of the Library Account, the accumulation of unspent library funds from the arrangement by which one-third of income was set aside for the library, has been reduced during the year by £138 4s 2d, and now stands at £113 1s 11d. With arrears of binding and standard maintenance, this balance should be absorbed during the coming year.
When that has been done, however, the whole of the library expenditure, a minimum of approximately £80 annually, must be carried by the Income and Expenditure Account; from this year's figures it seems clear that the subscription income based on the existing rates will not be adequate to provide for this.
Canterbury Branch of. The Royal Society of New Zealand
Annual Report for the Year ended October 31, 1959
The Council wishes to submit the following report to the Annual Meeting of December 3. The year 1959 has been a busy one, marked by well attended Council meetings under the energetic chairmanship of Dr. C. D. Ellyett. The sudden death of Professor E. Percival was a sad loss to the Council, on which he has served with distinction as its chairman, a Vice-President and a Council Member. His place as Branch Representative on the Canterbury Museum Trust Board has been taken by Mr. G. A. Knox, and the Council appointed Dr. Ellyett to fill the position of Branch Representative on the Council of the Parent Body.
Planetarium. Prompt action by the Planetarium sub-committee, chaired by Dr. Ellyett, resulted in an import licence being granted in April. Up to the end of 1958 a sum of £1,517 had been collected. This amount included a gift of £1,000 by Miss M. G. Davies, a member of the Society. Miss Davies has since given permission for her name to be associated with the gift.
In March of this year a gift of £1,000 by another member, Mr. W. S. MacGibbon, ensured that the cost of the instrument would be fully met.
Donations since then have brought the total to £2,780. A further £800 approximately is still needed to meet the cost of seating and installation.
Subscription Levy. Notice of a levy of 5/- per member by the Parent Body resulted in the Council giving careful consideration to proposals for a change in the Branch subscription and also the Constitution and Rules. It was hoped during 1959 to send a copy of the latter in booklet form to all members, but this has been delayed.
Sunday Afternoon Lectures. The suggestion to hold a series of Sunday afternoon lectures coincided with the return of Mr. G. A. Knox, Dr. E. Godley and Dr. Watters from the Darwin Expedition to South Chile. The resulting three illustrated lectures drew an average attendance of 200 and resulted in donations totalling £15 12s 3d for the Town Hall Fund.
Programme Planning. In planning this year's General Meeting programme the Council adopted the policy of inviting the most authoritative speaker in the subject chosen. In many cases this involved travelling expenses for the Society. The success of the policy was reflected in the increase in attendances at meetings. The average was 86, with several meetings of over 100.
Name Tags. Name tags were introduced to assist members with interests in common to get together over supper. Not only does the label show the profession of the member but also by its colour enables members to be distinguished from visitors and Council members Mr. Maurice Colethorp, of the Zoology Department, has been appointed Assistant Secretary by the Council, and one of his tasks is the maintenance of this system.
Membership. Membership of the Society has shown a slight increase, there being 424 members, including life members. Although 33 members joined during the year, this number has been offset by an increase in the number of transfers and resignations.
The number of Associate Members has risen from 13 to 16.
Papers. Papers read by title during the year were. December 3, 1958 (Annual Meeting), “The Breeding System of Pimelea SPP1”, by C. J. Burrows; June 9 (Council Meeting), “Plant Communities of the Mokohinau Islands North of New Zealand”, by Mary E. Gillham, read by Mr. G. Turbott; September 8 (Council Meeting), “The Takahe (Notornis mantelli Owen, 1848): a General Survey”, by G. R. Williams, read by Mr. G. Turbott.
Meetings. Meetings held were: —1958: December 3 (Annual Meeting), “The 1950 Antipodes-Bounty Islands Expedition”, by Mr. G. Turbott. 1959: March 3, “A Botanical Travelogue of parts of North and South America”, by Mr. H. E. Connor; April 1, “Financing University Research”, by Dr. F. J. Llewellyn; May 6, Panel Discussion on “Delinquency and Crime”, chairman, Professor H. E. Field, panel, Dr. Jean Seabrook, Mr. Royston G. Brown, Mr. J. T. Ferguson, together with a practising physician and a practising barrister and solicitor;
June 3, “Conditions and Trends in the High Mountain Watershed Protection Forests”, by Mr. J. T. Holloway; July 1 (Presidential Address), “The Scientific Results Obtained from Rocket and Satellite Flights”, by Dr. G. D. Ellyett; August 5, “New Zealand Ironsands”, by Mr. W. R. B. Martin; September 2, “Ferdinand von Hochstetter: Father of New Zealand Geology”, by Dr. C. A. Fleming; October 7 (Chalklin Lecture), “The Role of Science in Higher Education”, by Professor H. Parton; November 4, “The Establishment of a Nuclear Science Institute for New Zealand”, by Mr. T. A. Rafter.
Sunday Afternoon Series: Sunday, June 14, “The Expedition, and studies of the marine biology of Southern Chile”, Mr. G. A. Knox. Sunday, June 21, “Vegetation of Southern Chile”, Dr. E. J. Godley Sunday, June 28, “Geology of Southern Chile”, Dr. W. A. Watters.
Obituary. Professor E. Percival, B.Sc., F. R. S. N. Z., professor of Zoology at the University of Canterbury was well known for his work on fresh-water ecology, first on rivers in Yorkshire, and then since he came to New Zealand as a member of the Freshwater Fisheries Advisory Council as well as scientific adviser to the Canterbury Acclimatisation Society. His scientific work will long be remembered for his fine studies on the Embryology of the Brachiopoda His sudden death on July 15 was a great blow to the Christchurch Branch of the Royal Society. It robbed them of a member who was full of energy and ideas. His interests were wide and he always had some contribution to make in the discussions following meetings, no matter what the subject. He had been President of the Society in 1955, was a member of the Council for some years, and was also the Society's representative on the Museum Trust Board. He will be remembered with affection by his colleagues and students alike. His enthusiasm for his subject was infectious, and Zoology students will remember him as one of the most stimulating teachers that they have had the privilege to study under. His contribution to the development of the University of Canterbury has been great. He was Deputy-chairman of the Professorial Board and acting Rector at two critical periods in the history of the University, and his influence has left its mark.
Otago Branch of. The Royal Society of New Zealand
Annual Report for Session 1959 (90th Session)
Main Branch Meetings. Tuesday April 21: Mr. P. W. Gathercole (Otago Museum), Professor G. T. S. Baylis (Department of Botany), and Dr. J. B. Howie (Medical School), “The Pre-European Peopling of Polynesia” (with Historical Section) Tuesday, May 5: Mr. A. J. Black, “Cruising with the Alert” (with Dunedin Naturalists' Field Club). Tuesday, June 9: Professor Linton, visiting William Evans Professor, Department of Geography, “Studies of Mountain Scenery”. Tuesday, July 14: Mr. B. Gunn, Department of Geology, “Travels in Antarctica”. Tuesday, August 11: Professor H. N. Parton, Department of Chemistry, and Dr. J. G. Pocock, Department of History, University of Canterbury, “Science in the 18th Century” (with Historical Section). Tuesday, September 8: Professor G. J. Williams, School of Mines, Presidential Address, “Economic Minerals in New Zealand”. Tuesday, October 13: Professor P. Smithells, School of Physical Education, “Scientific Problems in Physical Education”. Tuesday, November 17: Annual General Meeting.
Attendances at meetings: 125, 54, 69, 49, 35, 33, 17. Average, 55.
Papers Read by Title and Abstract. “Contributions to the Knowledge of the Bryophyte Flora of New Zealand,” by K. W. Allison. “The Cryptogamic Flora of the Awarua Plain,” by W. Martin. “The Lichen Genus Cladonia, sub-section Cladina in New Zealand”, by W. Martin. “Studies on New Zealand Lichens. 1—The Series Coniocarpineae”, by J. Murray. “Studies on New Zealand Lichens 2—The Family Teloschistaceae”, by J. Murray. “Studies on New Zealand Lichens 3—The Family Peltigeraceae”, by J. Murray.
Changes in Constitution. The copies of the constitution printed in 1935 being exhausted, it was decided last year to make a reprinting, and opportunity was taken to alter the text at the last annual meeting. Several changes were made then and at the first meeting for 1959, principally to the clauses relating to membership, subscriptions, life membership and the financial obligations of the Otago Branch to the Royal Society of New Zealand. It is expected that the new edition of the constitution will be printed in time for distribution to members before the Annual Meeting.
List of Members. Until the early 1930's a list of members of the Otago Branch was printed each year with the annual report, but this was discontinued in the interests of economy. Apparently the only list available to members after that time appeared in the Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand in 1944, so your Council decided to have a new list printed this year for distribution with the Constitution. The list now includes the date (or dates, where members have resigned or been transferred for a period) at which members joined the Otago Branch and it may be noted that one person has been a member for 50 years. It is not known for certain whether this is a record for the Branch, but it must be very near to it.
Late Addition: Mr. G. M. Thomson was a member for a longer period (over 60 years).
G. M. Thomson Prize. This prize, established by the Otago Branch to commemorate the scientific and educational work of the late Mr. Thomson and to stimulate the study of natural history in the post-primary schools in Otago, was made available last year. It is offered for the best series of illustrative material covering any aspect of natural history, the work to be of about Sixth Form standard, and the prize will normally be a book or books. The first award has been made to Miss Eleanor Begg, whose entry, “The Response Shown by some New Zealand plants to their Environment,” was particularly commended by the examiners.
Otago Museum. As most members will be aware, work on the Museum Extension has been started, and should be finished in 1961. This wing will contain an auditorium for the use of the Society, which has contributed a considerable sum from a fund set up more than 20 years ago for this purpose. Owing to lack of finance, certain parts of the building, such as the heating system, will have to be completed at a later date.
The Otago Branch again combined with the Association of Friends of the Museum at the Conversazione in September, the special feature of which was a demonstration of Fijian and Samoan dancing and singing.
Historical Section. The section has held eight meetings during the year, two of which were joint meetings with the Main Branch of the Otago Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand. In March, Mr. G. S. Parsonson gave an address entitled “Ancient Voyagers of the Pacific: a Reply to Mr. Andrew Sharp”, and in April, Dr. Angus Ross, Mr. P. W. Gathercole. Professor G. T. S. Baylis, and Dr. J. B. Howie discussed various aspects of the pre-European peopling of the Pacific. In May, Miss Margaret E. Avery spoke on “Uses and Abuses in Fifteenth Century England: A Study of Proceedings in the Court of Chancery”. On June 15, Professor W. L. Taylor, of Dickinson College, Carlisle spoke on “The Problems of Federalism in America”, and on June 23, Dr. J. G. A. Pocock, of the University of Canterbury, gave a lecture on “A History of Ideas”. Professor W. P. Morrell spoke in July on the “Later Career of E. J. Eyre”. In August, at a joint session with the Royal Society, Professor Parton and Dr. Pocock discussed the contributions of Joseph Priestley to the development of science and historical method in the eighteenth century. At the close of the annual meeting, Mr. D. G. Herron, retiring Ross Fellow and now a Nuffield Fellow in the Humanities, will speak on Edward Gibbon Wakefield in New Zealand politics.
At its May meeting, the section accepted with regret the resignation of its secretary-treasurer, Miss L. M. Voller, now principal of Nelson Girls' College. As a member of the Committee for a number of years and more recently as secretary, Miss Voller rendered the section enthusiastic and valuable services which it greatly appreciates.
Astronomical Section. Beverley-Begg Observatory: Favourable weather this year has increased the popularity of the Observatory, which was open to the public on Saturday evenings from April till early September. In addition, the Observatory has been open to private parties on other nights of the week by arrangement. As in the past the public sessions have been conducted by committee members on a rota system. This year it has been particularly pleasing to see other members in attendance at the observatory to assist their fellow member on duty, and on one occasion no less than six were present. In other years the burden of this work has fallen largely on a few people. In all some 450 members of the public have visited the Observatory during the year, and receipts have totalled £13 14s 1d, an increase of £2 2s 7d over last year.
Equipment: During the year the section authorised Mr. A. J. Doig to negotiate with an overseas firm with a view to obtaining a set of Dallmeyer camera 5.7 lenses and support. The section has been fortunate in obtaining this equipment in unused condition at a cost of £22 10s, although the original cost would have been in the vicinity of £300. Since the arrival of this item, Mr. Doig in his spare time has constructed two boxes to hold the main body of the camera and the photographic plates. In addition he has constructed a mounting to fit the camera to the 12in telescope which acts as a guide telescope. This addition to our equipment is of excellent quality and definition, and will be used to photograph such astronomical features as comets, star clusters and nebulae. We extend to Mr. Doig our thanks and appreciation for his fine workmanship.
During the year a fault developed in the declination axis of the 12in reflecting telescope, apparently due to some misuse, but it has been rectified by Mr. Doig.
Occulations. The Observatory Director, Mr. Doig, was able to time successfully 23 lunar occulations out of 30 attempted, and on two occasions was assisted by the secretary. The results have been forwarded to Hurstmontceaux.
Annexe: Progress was hampered to some degree early in the year by the weather, which delayed painting in particular. However, in recent months the waterproofing of the annexe and much of the painting has been done. The spouting and the greater part of the electric
fittings have been installed, but the interior lining took longer than expected due to difficulties in attaching it to the concrete exterior. This has now been overcome and much of the lining is in place. It is hoped to have the annexe completed by the beginning of next season, thanks to the consistent support and practical help of a number of enthusiasts.
Vandalism. This year there has been only one attack, in January, when a number of wire-reinforced heavy glass panes in the annexe were smashed and spouting tampered with Steel wire mesh has now been placed in position to prevent further damage, and the incident was reported to the authorities.
Comet. Last month Messrs. Campbell and Doig successfully located the Giacobini-Zinner comet, a periodic one of about 9th magnitude.
Presentation of Books. The book “Essays on Thoughts and Worlds,” by J. C. Begg, has been presented to the Observatory by the author, and Dr. C. R. S. Roberts has presented three books, “The Solar System,” “Astrophysics” and “Frontiers of Astronomy”. These books will give much useful reading to members of the Astronomical Section, and thanks are extended to these gentlemen for their gifts. It may be remembered that Mr. Begg was Director of the Observatory and secretary of the section for long periods in the 1920's and 1930's.
Space Travel. The prospects of space travel now seem assured by the success of U. S. and U. S. S. R. space rockets during the year. An American and a Russian rocket have each by-passed the moon to go into solar orbits, sending back interesting information on the way. A Russian rocket managed to hit the moon in the vicinity of the Mare Imbrium, and in the latest outstanding Russian achievement an automatic space station was launched to orbit the moon and (apparently) the earth; one side of the moon is always hidden from astronomers on the earth, and the results of photographs of this side taken by the space station are awaited with much interest.
Membership. The roll still stands at 7 full members, but 10 new associate members have joined this year, bringing the total membership to 43 and the subscription income to £8 5s.
Waikato Scientific Association
Annual Report for the Year ended October 31, 1959.
Membership. The membership roll now stands at 85, an increase of 14 on last year's figures. There were 22 new members and eight resignations during the year.
General Meetings. Nine General Meetings were held during the year. At the Annual General Meeting in November 1958, a film “The Origin of Life” was shown, while at the other meetings the following lectures were given: —March 19, “A Layman Looks at Evolution” (Presidential Address), Mr. W. F. Rolt; April 16, “Automation”, Mr. F. Puch; May 21, “Present-day Views of the Origin of Life”, Dr. R. L. M. Synge; June 18, “Radio-Astronomy”, Dr. B. McAdam; July 15, “Archaeology in New Zealand”, Messrs Groube and Smart, August 19, “Medical Instrumentation”, Mr. A. W. Melville; September 17, “New Ideas in Heredity,” Dr. P. J. Brumby, October 15, “Darwinism”, Professor W. R. McGregor. The average attendance at lectures was 58.
Demonstration Evenings. Following a recommendation from last year's Executive, the Demonstration Evenings were held for the second year in succession in the Fraser Wing of the Hamilton Technical College on the evenings of September 1 and 2. The demonstrations and exhibits repeated last year's success and amply demonstrated that the Hamilton Technical College is the most suitable venue for this type of display. We are once again indebted to the College authorities and staff for permission to use their premises and for their ready co-operation.
We are indebted to the following exhibitors for displays and demonstrations: —N.Z. Electricity Department: Model of Waipapa Power Project and film Auckland Industrial Development Laboratories: Applications of science to the foundry trade in New Zealand. Members of the Royal Institute of Horticulture and of the Forest and Bird Protection Society: Some features of New Zealand plant life. Waikato Society of Model and Experimental Engineers (Inc.) Display of engineering models. Post and Telegraph Department. Modern communication equipment N.Z. Institute of Draughtsmen (Inc.): Display of draughting techniques Mr. C. G. Hunt: Marine diorama. Waikato Hospital: Transfusing and typing human blood; X-ray applications. Ruakura Animal and Rukuhia Soil Research Stations. Laboratory glass-blowing; electronic equipment, sulphur analyses. Hamilton Tomo Group: Pictorial display. United Kingdom High Commissioner: Films and display material. United States Information Service: Films and display material; Nautilus. N.Z. Esperanto Association: Applications of Esperanto for science.
We would like to thank all those members and non-members who helped to make the demonstration evenings a success.
Archaeological Section. Following the General Meeting in July, which was addressed by Messrs Groube and Smart, deputising for Mr. J. Golson, a meeting of persons interested in N.Z. archaeology was held at the Hamilton Technical College, and the section was formally launched under the chairmanship of Mr. F. P. Butler. The meeting passed a resolution deciding that all artifacts recovered by the section be handed to the Waikato Scientific Association for scientific study, prior to passing them on to the local museum. Future activities of the section will include field reconnaissance of sites of archaeological interest in the Waikato.
Field Trip. A trip to the Wairaki Geothermal Power Project, arranged by last year's committee, took place on 8/11/58.
Finance. Once again our finances have benefited from donations received at the Demonstration Evenings. Donations of £39 9s 1d were received and after expenses had been met there was a net return of £23 3s 4d. Our main expenses this year have been speakers′ expenses, amounting to £11 9s; subscription to the Royal Society of N.Z., £9 5s, and delegates' travelling expenses, £6 19s 4d.
With a continuing steady increase in membership, our future financial position should be assured.
Science Prizes. The Executive decided that two prizes should be donated to the Hamilton Technical College to be awarded for proficiency in science. These were won in 1958 by Brett Jackson and Arthur Smith.
Publicity. The Waikato Times has continued to support our activities by giving advance news of our meetings and reports of our lectures.
Royal Society of New Zealand. Our delegate, Mr. R. R. White, attended the November meeting of Council in 1958, and Mr. F. D. Dorofaeff attended the Annual Meeting in May 1959.
The circulations of the Proceedings to members is a welcome innovation and will help to keep them informed of the activities of the various branches of the Society.
The Executive has been in communication with the Royal Society in connection with the possible establishment of a National Technological Museum, and we have urged that such a museum should be established in Hamilton.
Local Matters. The increasing development of educational and research activities around Hamilton provides some assurance that the present trend of increasing membership will continue. It is pleasing to note that the Cultural Committee of the Hamilton City Council has given serious consideration to the establishment of a museum in Hamilton. Your Committee has assured the Council of its support of any move in this direction and has requested that we be kept informed of developments.
In the matter of the extension of university facilities, a brief submission in support of the preservation and extension of extra-mural facilities, and in support of the establishment of a University in Hamilton, was made to the Committee on N.Z. Education.
Acknowledgments. I wish to thank all those who have contributed to the success of our activities. Thanks are specially due to Mr. O'Hare, who has had two busy years as secretary, in which he has cheerfully borne the extra burdens imposed by two successive years of demonstration evenings, and to Mr. A. E. Greenslade, our Honorary Auditor.
Rotorua Branch of The Royal Society of New Zealand
Annual Report for 1959
The year has been a satisfactory one, and the normal number of regular meetings have been held. Included in these meetings was one when we were pleased to have the New Zealand Archaeological Society present in large numbers during their field work in this district, and this was the evening on which the guest speaker, Mr. R. Green, was arranged for by the Archaeological Society.
There was also the usual meeting devoted to the presentation of local papers, when three papers on local research, of very great interest, were presented. The programme for the year was as follows: —Maps and Survey, Presidential Address. Paper Making—Past, Present and Future,” Mr. Stacey. “From Pre-History to History in America ”, Mr. Green. “Some Aspects of Maori Medicine”, Dr. Allan North. “Dr. H. von Hochstetter”, Dr. Fleming, “Nuclear Power”, Dr. Hamilton. “Artificial Satellites”, Mr. Thomsen Papers on local research, Mr. B. Adam, Mr. J. Gilmore, Mr. R. Martin.
Membership. The membership of this Branch remains at approximately the same level—increases through new members offsetting the older members moving from the district.
Finance. Financially, the Society is in a reasonable position, the balance being approximately the same as last year.
Attendance. Attendances at meetings have been good, and during the year it has been noticeable with the large numbers of visitors, who have been attracted by the papers presented.
An innovation was made by the issue of a monthly newsletter announcing the programme, in place of the previous cards setting out the whole year's programme. Your opinion will be sought on this point for the guidance of the in-coming Committee, as to the most suitable method of notification of forthcoming programmes.
Historical and Museum Sections. These sections, for various reasons, have had a fairly quiet year, although their activities have continued. The reports of these sections follow:—
Historical Section. The section has had a disappointing and somewhat frustrating year Lack of support and adverse weather early in the year led to the abandonment of a trip that had been arranged to inspect sites of interest at Lake Okatama, and attempts to arrange speakers came to nothing. The impending departure from Rotorua of both the Chairman and the Secretary made it imperative that the future of the section be discussed.
At the Annual Meeting, a small group decided that rather than allow the section to go into recess, an attempt should be made to keep it in existence and to revive interest in its activities. Mr. B. Adam was elected chairman and Mr. P. Burstall interim secretary, and a committee of four appointed.
Any members of the Society who are able to do so are strongly urged to interest themselves in the work of this section and to take an active part in what it is trying to do.
Museum Section. By the end of last year the cataloguing of individual items in the Museum was completed, and the lay-outs of the proposed exhibits for the Museum in its new form had been planned. This enabled the final plans and specifications of the new cases to be completed, but unfortunately this was delayed, with the result that the Borough Council temporarily allocated the Museum finance elsewhere and the work has been delayed by one year.
In the meantime, a grant of £25 was made by the Borough Council to carry on with minor work, and Mr. Ian Robinson has commenced work on renovating the birds, commencing with the huias and saddlebacks, which were in bad shape, and for which new vermin-proof cases are now being made.
The plans are now with the Council, and it is expected that the Museum will be completed in 1960.
The Society received a visit from the noted seismologist, Sir Harold Jeffries, earlier in the year, and your Committee hoped to arrange a special meeting to have an address from Sn Harold. Unfortunately he was only prepared to address meetings in the four main centres, but your Committee and their wives met Sir Harold and Lady Jeffries at a pleasant and informal evening in Rotorua.
In conclusion, I feel that the year can be considered a satisfactory one. A varied and interesting programme was enjoyed by the continued good membership. In addition to the normal regular meetings, there have been several Committee meetings, and I take this opportunity of thanking the Committee members for their attendance and for the work which has been done during the year. On behalf of the Society, I have pleasure in moving a vote of thanks for the work of the secretary, Mr. G. C. Russell, and the treasurer, Mr. W. Wilson, who are, fortunately, both available for re-election to their respective offices. I would also like to record our thanks to Mr. Holloway, our honorary auditor, and Mr. Gee, our librarian.
Office-bearers for the year were Messrs, Roud, Cooper, Reid, Kempthorne, Gray, Healey, Martin, Pledger, Wilson, Russell, Gee and Holloway.
R. L. Roud,
Hawke'S Bay Branch of The Royal Society of New Zealand
Annual Report for the Year ended December 31, 1959
Officers. President, Mr. J. S. Peel; Vice-President, Mr. P. J. Grant, Secretary-Treasurer, Mrs. J. Winklev; Hon. Auditor, Mr. H. E. Reaney; Council—Dr. A. G. Clark, Mr. N. L. Elder, Dr. C. Crawford, Mr. D. Brathwaite, Mr. R. W. S. Fargher, Mr. G. E. Milne, Mr. J. B. S. Munro, Mr. A. Howse, Mr. T. Carpenter, Mr. E. B. Fielding, Mr. L. Styles, Dr. R. Lucas.
Membership. Ordinary members, 79; Life members, 6; new members, 10; resignations, 5; deaths, 3.
Meetings. Council 4. Annual General Meeting, Count Kinsky, “Birds of the Peruvian Guano Islands .” Four Quarterly meetings Professor K. M. Buchanan, of Victoria University College, “The Changing Face of China” Mr. J. Healy, Government Vulcanologist, D. S. I. R., Rotorua, “Volcanic Activity in New Zealand.” Mr. W. Romanes, member of the 1958 Geological Survey Expedition, “Antarctica” Dr. J. Kingma, “Geological History of New Zealand.” One Members' meeting, officers of the H. B. Catchment Board, “Soil Conservation and Erosion in Hawke's Bay”.
It is gratifying to record that all meetings were exceptionally well attended.
Sections. At present the Historical Section is the only active section of the Society. It has held seven meetings during the year and the subjects discussed were. “Rongaika” Mr. Hamlin, “Evidence of Maori Routes on the Tararuas”, Mr. Elder, “The Pa at Ohiti”, “Old Artesian Wells of Hawke's Bay”, Mr. R. J. Findlay, “The History of Tongariro National Park”, Mr. R. A. L. Batley, “Block House on the Tauro Road”, Mr. R. Bell; “Old Photographs of the Back Stations”, Mr. Masters.
Attempts were made during the year to revive other sections, but the response to a questionnaire was poor.
Colenso Memorial Prize. In the second year of its existence, there can be no doubt from the number of entries and the very high standard of work submitted, that this form of memorial is highly successful.
It is a form that would have been very dear to the heart of the Rev William Colenso. It is an encouragement of young naturalists to carry on with the work in which Colenso himself was so interested.
Each year the Society awards prizes for work devoted to ecological and field studies Entries are open to students of the High Schools of Hawke's Bay and members of the Naturalists Clubs of Hawke's Bay. Again this year the judges had difficulty in selecting the winning entries which were First Prize, Barbara Turner, Napier Girls' High School, “An Area of Native Bush”, Second Prize, Marlene Webster, St. Joseph's Maori Girls' College, “A Swamp at Greenmeadows”., Third Prize, R. D. Hall, Napier Boys' High School, “Ecological Survey, West Shore.”
Loder Cup. Council feels strongly on this matter and will again put forward Mr. Wm. Hartree as a nominee for the Loder Cup.
Library. Considerable attention has been given to the Library during the year. A committee under the chairmanship of Dr. A. G. Clark met Dr. Falla to discuss library matters. A report has been presented, and it is for the incoming Council to decide and act upon this report.
General. This has been a most successful year. Perhaps it is a sign of the times, but never before have we had such large attendances at scientific talks as we have this year With wise leadership the Society will continue to act as the translator of science to the people of Hawke's Bay.
(Signed) J. S. Peel,
Nelson Branch Of The Royal Society Of New Zealand
Report for the year ended September 30, 1959
Officers. During the year the following members held office:—President, Dr. E. B. Kidson; Vice-President, Mr. A. W. Bowman; Secretary, Mr. A. H. Mahan; Representative on Council, Dr. H. O. Askew; Hon. Auditor, Mr. T. Christie; Committee—Dr. W. Cottier, Messrs. E. S. Gourlay, J. S. Hogg, J. W. Hole, R. S. S. Meredith and Dr. E. H. Peat. Acting Treasurer: Owing to the increased membership it was found necessary to separate the offices of secretary and treasurer. It was therefore decided to appoint an acting-treasurer and Mr. J. I. Townsend has held this position since April.
The Committte met seven times during the session.
Membership. The campaign for new members has been continued, resulting in a substantial increase. New members totalled 58 full members and 32 associates, so that the Branch membership now stands at 123 members and 58 associates.
Honorary Member. In recognition of his services to the Branch and to New Zealand science in general, Sir Theodore Rigg was elected to honorary membership of the Branch.
Constitution. The constitution was amended to provide for the free distribution to full members of the Proceedings of the Society instead of the Transactions. It was decided that the latter should be available to members at cost price.
Meetings. Owing to increased membership, a bigger hall than that at the Nelson Institute was necessary Meetings have been held in the Marsden Library, and attendance has averaged about 100 Supper has been provided.
With a larger membership it has been possible to include a high proportion of speakers from other parts of New Zealand in the year's programme. The subjects chosen have been as far as possible those arousing current public interest, and the series of lectures has been a particularly successful one.
The programme was as follows: —October 20 (Annual Meeting) Dr. D. Morgan, N. Z. Forest Service, “Forests and Their Protection”. April 20: Mr. Gordon Williams, N. Z.
Wildlife Division, “The Takahe”. May 18: Dr. H. J. H. Hiddlestone, Nelson Public Hospital, “Lung Cancer”. June 15: Dr. W. M. Hamilton, Secretary, D.S.I.R., “Nuclear Development in New Zealand”. July 20: Mr. I. L. Thomsen, Director of Carter Observatory, Wellington, “Satellites”. August 17: Professor A. J. Danks, Associate Professor of Economics, University of Canterbury, “New Zealand Economy”. September 21: Conversazione.
The conversazione was held in the Sports Hall and took the form of a series of demonstrations followed by scientific films. The demonstrations were as follows: —Oxygen Apparatus, (Deputy Fire Chief H. Oliver, Nelson Fire Brigade), Biological Control of Insect Pests, Drs. W. Cottier and J. Timlin, Entomology Division, D.S.I.R.; Soil Testing, Messrs. L. Hodgson and J. Dodson, Cawthron Institute; Antibiotics, Mr. N. G. Sutherland, Nelson Hospital Laboratory; Finger-printing, Sergeant W. Stock, Police Department; Early Cathode Ray Tube and Demonstrations of Cathode Ray Oscillographs, Messrs. R. S. S. Meredith and N. Spedding; Radar, Mr. A. V. Hewlett; Hearing Aids, Mr. P. D. Hight; Map of the Moon, showing the Position of Impact of the Russian Rocket. Mr. L. Morley.
Excursions. Evening excursions have been held to the telephone exchange, the gasworks, and the control tower and meteorological department of the Nelson Aerodrome. Arrangements have been made for a field excursion to the Dun Mountain in November.
Natural History Exhibits. Prizes for collections illustrating some aspect of the natural history of the district have been offered to both Waimea College and Motueka High School. These prizes are to take the form of books to the value of about £2 2s. Approximately half the cost is being met by donations from members.
Resignation. Dr. H. O. Askew, the Nelson representative on the Council, has attended and reported on several Council meetings. His resignation from the Branch on leaving Nelson has been received with regret.
Finance. The finances of the Branch are in a fairly satisfactory state. The balance stands at £89 2s 10d, but will be reduced by some £30 on the payment of a capitation fee payable to the parent body.
Thanks. The thanks of the Branch are tendered to those responsible for the excellent series of lectures, particularly to Mr. Williams, Dr. Hamilton, Mr. Thomsen and Professor Danks, who made special trips to Nelson for the meetings. Thanks are also due to those, including non-members, who provided demonstrations for the conversazione, and to those who helped with the suppers.
E. B. Kidson,